Google risks heavy fines for Street View photography in ItalyOctober 27th, 2010 - 12:15 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Oct 27 (IANS/AKI) Italy has threatened Google fines of 180,000 euros each time it photographs neighbourhoods without giving clear warning to residents of the presence of its cameras, according to the watchdog tasked with safeguarding privacy in Italy.
Italy is the first European country to adopt measures that can punish the California internet giant for collecting images for its popular Street View service that allows users to pan through neighbourhoods and individual addresses around the world.
Google’s Street View cars, which travel through neighbourhoods with cameras mounted on their roofs, must be easily identifiable by signs and other means or risk a fine.
“Google cars will have to be clearly marked by means of visible stickers or signs to unambiguously signify that pictures are being taken for the purposes of Street View,” the Rome-based Privacy Authority said in a statement.
“This decision…takes account of the many complaints lodged by citizens who did not wish to be displayed on the online pictures.”
Google in response to the potential sanctions said that it has been conducting a “constant dialogue” with the Privacy Authority to protect personal information, countering that there “already exists numerous instruments that we use to inform citizens” of the presence of Street View cars.
The company has addressed previous worries by blurring out faces and license plates in its images.
Italy’s Privacy Authority in September reprimanded Google for allowing its Street View cars to intercept electronic information from wireless internet networks, although the company said it has never used the data.
- Google to add Thailand to Street View - Sep 02, 2011
- Google to offer street view of Indian cities soon - May 26, 2011
- Police Use Google Image To Crackdown Caravan Theft - Nov 08, 2010
- Italy's macho soldiers asked to remove tattoos - Aug 17, 2012
- Google's eye in sky could catch you with pants down - Jun 11, 2012
- Google told to get clearance for Bangalore street view - Jun 21, 2011
- Now, tour the earth on Google - Oct 01, 2010
- 'Dangerous' mobster held in Italy - Apr 24, 2012
- Google captures naked man in car boot - Mar 02, 2012
- Flat seized from Italian mafia to become kids' home - Sep 07, 2012
- Consumer confidence dips to three year low in Italy - Oct 26, 2011
- Boat with Egyptian migrants held in Italy - Jun 13, 2012
- Racism rising at the workplace in Italy - Mar 09, 2012
- Google Street View also copied people's emails, passwords - Oct 24, 2010
- Italian town allows owners to be buried with pets - Sep 07, 2012
Tags: aki, california internet, citizens, dialogue, electronic information, faces, google, internet giant, italy italy, italy rome, license plates, roofs, sanctions, service that allows users, stickers, street view, view cars, watchdog, wireless internet networks, worries