Google News is downMay 14th, 2009 - 8:07 pm ICT by admin
By Sajal Kayan
Google’s news service located at http://news.google.com went down today at approximately 8:40 am EDT. At the time of writing at 9:00 am EDT it is still down.
On visiting news.google.com one would be greeted with a 503 Server error, which asks the visitor to try again in 30 seconds. The error Reads:-
The service you requested is not available yet.
Please try again in 30 seconds.
At the time of writing, the Google news blog at http://googlenewsblog.blogspot.com/ has no comments about the outage. It is highly unlikely that this outage was due to planed/scheduled maintenance since it occurred in the morning hours when the people at American East Coast were just entering office. Earlier, the Google “MayHarm” bug also occured during similar time-frame.
HTTP error 503 is defined as “Service Unavailable”. Normal server error is 500 “Internal Server Error”.
According to Wikipedia :-
Google News is an automated news aggregator provided by Google Inc. The initial idea, StoryRank—related to Google’s PageRank formula—was developed by Krishna Bharat in 2001, the Principal Research Scientist of Google. No human is involved in the altering of the front page or story promotion, beyond tweaking the aggregation algorithm. Google News left beta in January 2006.
//Edit 9:23 am. news.google.com works if accessing it from the Google Data center located at 220.127.116.11 . The issue is limited to certain data centers. Not all users are affected by this. In this case, the ip belongs to Google’s data center in India.
//Edit 9:49 am (EDT) : We noticed Google News operational from all Locations we were tracking at about 9:35am EDT.
- Gmail down - Causes panic in twitterverse - Sep 02, 2009
- Facebook Down - Don't Panic - Sep 24, 2010
- Gmail outage affects users worldwide - Apr 18, 2012
- Gmail outage affects tens of millions of users worldwide - Apr 18, 2012
- First Gmail now Dell.com down - Sep 02, 2009
- Google announces cloud-computing service - Jun 29, 2012
- Is Wikipedia down? - Mar 25, 2010
- Google launches the 'Apps Marketplace' - Mar 10, 2010
- Thunderstorm briefly prompts New York City tornado warning - Aug 28, 2011
- NASA's Glenn Research Center on lockdown after reported gunfire - Nov 05, 2010
- Twitter unstable today - Oct 13, 2009
- Hotmail, MSN messenger and Windows Live Spaces down - Feb 17, 2010
- Wikipedia Faced Technical Difficulties Due To Power Outage - Jul 05, 2010
- U.S. newspapers saw ads revenue decline by more than 6% in 2010 - report - Mar 14, 2011
- Tropical Storm Lisa forms in the far eastern Atlantic - Sep 21, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,