Google launches unified digital content storeMarch 7th, 2012 - 1:49 pm ICT by IANS
San Francisco, March 7 (IANS) Google Tuesday introduced a new online store called Google Play, offering consumers a one-stop marketplace for music, movies, books, applications and other digital media content.
The Google Play store will create a unified digital entertainment destination that combines the company’s Android Market app store, as well as other stores including Google Music and the Google eBookstore, reported Xinhua.
“Google Play is entirely cloud-based so all your music, movies, books and apps are stored online, always available to you, and you never have to worry about losing them or moving them again,” Jamie Rosenberg, director of digital content at Google, wrote in a post on the company’s official blog.
The new store is seen as Google’s latest move to compete more directly with technology giants like Apple and Amazon in selling digital content.
With Google Play, a user can store up to 20,000 songs for free and buy millions of new tracks, said Rosenberg.
The marketplace will also offer over 450,000 Android apps and games, the world’s largest selection of e-books and thousands of movies for users to download, browse or rent.
The launch of Google Play started on the web from Tuesday and the upgrading will be rolled out over the coming days on smartphones or tablets running Google’s Android operating system.
- Google launch their online bookstore - Dec 07, 2010
- E-books, e-library - for your reading pleasure - Sep 06, 2012
- Google to launch its Google Editions e-reader service in US this year - Dec 05, 2010
- E-books outsell hardbacks on Amazon - Jul 21, 2010
- Google Initiates eBooks To Compete Against Its Rival, Amazon - Dec 08, 2010
- New Google Ebooks Available On Cloud-Based Technology - Dec 07, 2010
- New mobile app developed to monitor data theft - Jul 06, 2012
- Google opens online store for Android users - Feb 03, 2011
- Deepak Chopra's 'Kama Sutra' launched in digital format - Feb 19, 2012
- Harry Potter eBooks come to Amazon Kindle library - May 11, 2012
- ebook gadgets help popularise literary classics - Dec 27, 2010
- Apple's new app: iBook, iPad goes one up on Amazon's Kindle - Jan 28, 2010
- Looking for books? Try online - Mar 27, 2011
- Google selling smartphones again - Apr 25, 2012
- Year of tech, tweets, tablets and telecom (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: amazon, android, apple, apps, consumers, digital content, digital entertainment, digital media content, e books, ebookstore, entertainment destination, google, launch, marketplace, operating system, rosenberg, san francisco march, smartphones, technology giants, xinhua