Google launches custom tailored search featureAugust 13th, 2011 - 10:54 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 13 (IANS) In a bid to trump Microsoft’s Bing, Google will start to populate individual users’ search results with posts that have been shared publicly by their connections on Google+.
The new feature, which works only when users are signed in to their Google accounts, aims to tailor results to individual tastes, the company said Friday.
The idea is if a user posts a note on Google+ about a link–be it to a restaurant’s Web site, a news story, or a retail store’s site–their Google+ connections are going to be more likely to want to see that site as well.
In a blog post, Sagar Kamdar, Google product manager, offered an example of a contact in one of his Google+ Circles posting a note about a Chinese restaurant in New York City.
When Kamdar searches for the restaurant, a note appears below the restaurant link saying his connection shared a post about the establishment.
“Now not only do I get some great reviews on the Web, I get a review from a friend about a restaurant, with recommendations about what dishes to order,” Kamdar wrote.
“This is just the latest step in helping you find the most relevant information possible, personalised to your interests and the people you care about,” he added.
In May, Microsoft’s Bing rolled out a similar feature that elevates results that have received a “like” from a friend on Facebook. Bing’s implementation requires users to be logged in to Facebook.
For both Google and Microsoft, the idea is to mimic the real world, where people often rely on friends for advice before making decisions about products, restaurants, hotels, and more, tech news website CNet.com said.
- Bing to integrate social networking with search results - May 11, 2012
- Microsoft launches TV campaign to challenge Google - Sep 07, 2012
- Microsoft unveils new email service - Aug 01, 2012
- Will rivals do to Google what Facebook did to MySpace? - Jul 19, 2011
- Google to include personal email in web search results - Aug 09, 2012
- Google unveils social network to challenge Facebook - Jun 29, 2011
- How to manage your online image - Jun 06, 2010
- New browser combines web search with Facebook - Nov 09, 2010
- Google launches 'cloud' service - Apr 25, 2012
- Google acquires Nik Software - Sep 18, 2012
- Google Jazzes Up Its Homepage With Backgrounds! - Jun 10, 2010
- Yahoo's search migrates to Microsoft - Aug 25, 2010
- Google now restricts Facebook access to Gmail contacts - Nov 06, 2010
- Cyber criminals to target social networks, mobile devices: Security Report - Apr 06, 2011
- Google unveils new ultra-high speed internet - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: chinese restaurant, circles, dishes, facebook, google, hotels, implementation, making decisions, microsoft, new feature, new york city, news story, real world, restaurant in new york, restaurants, retail store, search feature, tastes, trump, users search