Google buys email management software providerJuly 21st, 2012 - 2:19 pm ICT by IANS
San Francisco, July 21 (IANS) Google has acquired Sparrow, a provider of email management software for Apple’s platforms, Sparrow announced.
“Now we’re joining the Gmail team to accomplish a bigger vision — one that we think we can better achieve with Google,” said Dom Leca, chief executive officer of Sparrow, in an announcement posted on the company’s website Friday.
No financial details of the acquisition were disclosed, reported Xinhua.
Sparrow said its applications will continue to be available for the time being, but they do not plan to release new features for the Sparrow apps anytime soon, said the company in an email to its users.
Sparrow offers email client service, which is formally called mail user agent. It is a programme used to access and manage a user’s email.
The company launched its application for Apple’s OS X operating system in October 2011 and its app for Apple’s iOS mobile operating system in March, both of which have quickly gained popularity for their simple and efficient service.
- YouTube launches iPhone app with advertisements - Sep 12, 2012
- Apple to drop Google Maps from upcoming mobile platform - May 12, 2012
- Google acquires Nik Software - Sep 18, 2012
- Apple removes spam message app from App Store - Jul 06, 2012
- Google launches 'cloud' service - Apr 25, 2012
- Google buys Quickoffice - Jun 06, 2012
- Google announces cloud-computing service - Jun 29, 2012
- Apple releases iTunes Match - Nov 15, 2011
- Google to include personal email in web search results - Aug 09, 2012
- Facebook smartphone to be 'released next year' - May 28, 2012
- Apple to unveil future of its operating systems - Mar 29, 2011
- Google buys Instagram rival Snapseed - Sep 18, 2012
- Chinese downloads 25 billionth app - Mar 06, 2012
- Apple releases preview of new Mac operating system - Feb 17, 2012
- Google, RIM are now no match for Apple: Analysts - Oct 21, 2010
Tags: acquisition, apple, apps, chief executive officer, efficient service, email, financial details, google, ios, leca, mail user agent, management software, new features, operating system, os x, platforms, popularity, software provider, sparrow, xinhua