Golden rice an effective source of vitamin AMay 14th, 2009 - 2:40 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 14 (IANS) Beta-carotene in so-called ‘Golden Rice’ converts to vitamin A in humans, according to researchers.
Golden Rice was developed in the early 1990s with the goal of creating rice that had beta-carotene, a vitamin A precursor, in the rice grain.
In its current form, Golden Rice contains 35 micrograms of beta-carotene per gram.
“We found that four units of beta-carotene from Golden Rice convert to one unit of vitamin A in humans,” said Michael Grusak, associate professor of paediatrics at the Children’s Nutrition Research Centre at Baylor College of Medicine (BCM).
They determined this by feeding five healthy adults a specific amount of specially-labelled Golden Rice and measured the amount of retinol, a form of vitamin A, in the blood.
Vitamin A deficiency is prevalent in many parts of the world where poorer community members rely on rice as their major food source. People who lack adequate amounts of this vitamin can have vision problems or even go blind.
“By incorporating vitamin A into the major crop that is consumed, we would be able to make it accessible to the majority of people in the area,” said Grusak.
Additional research is necessary before Golden Rice is made commercially available, said a BCM release.
The study appeared in the current issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
- Scientists uncover 'dark side' of beta-carotene - May 03, 2012
- Adolescents consuming less iron, vitamins - Aug 09, 2012
- GM rice tested on Chinese schoolchildren? - Sep 12, 2012
- Scientists find way to boost nutritional levels of corn - May 04, 2010
- 'Vitamin C keeps dementia at bay' - Sep 12, 2012
- New method to save eyesight loss - May 04, 2010
- Vitamin A makes breastfeeding with HIV more risky: Study - Aug 27, 2010
- Multiple health benefits of eating pistachios - May 21, 2010
- Dhaka developing world's first vitamin-A rich rice - Apr 20, 2011
- Vitamin pill a day keeps cancer at bay! - Mar 03, 2012
- New super A carrots boost vision - Nov 21, 2009
- You can spice up meals with real vitamins, nutrients - Mar 27, 2012
- Smoking, exercise influence Vitamin E's effect on pneumonia risk - Feb 18, 2011
- Genetic defect linked to vitamin A deficiency in women - Nov 18, 2009
- Vitamin E may extend lifespan of certain men - Jan 21, 2011
Tags: additional research, adequate amounts, american journal of clinical nutrition, associate professor, baylor college of medicine, bcm, beta carotene, college of medicine, community members, converts, food source, golden rice, journal of clinical nutrition, micrograms, nutrition research centre, paediatrics, precursor, rice grain, vision problems, vitamin a deficiency