‘God did not create the universe’September 2nd, 2010 - 2:54 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 2 (IANS) British physicist Stephen Hawking has said the creation of the universe was a result of the inevitable laws of physics and it did not need God’s help.
In his latest book titled “The Grand Design”, Hawking writes: “Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist.”
He rejects Isaac Newton’s theory that the universe did not spontaneously begin to form but was set in motion by God.
“It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going,” the Daily Telegraph quoted Hawking as writing in his book.
Earlier, in Hawking’s most famous work “A Brief History of Time”, he did not dismiss the possibility that God had a hand in the creation of the world.
“If we discover a complete theory, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason - for then we should know the mind of God,” he had written in the 1988 book.
The book, co-written by American physicist Leonard Mlodinow, will be released Sep 9.
- 'God didn't play a hand in The Big Bang', says Stephen Hawking - Sep 02, 2010
- God Not Needed In Creation Of Universe, Says Stephen Hawking - Sep 06, 2010
- Chief rabbi slams Stephen Hawking for excluding God's role in universe creation - Sep 03, 2010
- Could Large Hadron Collider be world's first time machine? - Mar 16, 2011
- Kirk Cameron blasts Stephen Hawking's heaven theory - May 19, 2011
- Newton's apple tree to travel into zero gravity - May 10, 2010
- Can Hadron Collider be world's first time machine? - Mar 17, 2011
- Stephen Hawking joins Canada's Perimeter Institute (Lead) - Jun 09, 2010
- Stephen Hawking joins institute set up by BlackBerry - Jun 09, 2010
- Indian boy solves 350-year Newton math puzzle - May 26, 2012
- 15-year-old is youngest Cambridge student in over 200 years - Sep 03, 2010
- Stephen Hawking Looks Into The Universe, And Declares There Are Aliens - Apr 26, 2010
- God Particle's discovery 'biggest leap in physics' (Roundup) - Jul 05, 2012
- Stephen Hawking says he's often mistaken for a Simpsons character - Sep 11, 2010
- Scientists claim Large Hadron Collider could unlock secret of time travel - Mar 21, 2011
Tags: american physicist, book co, brief history of time, british physicist, complete theory, creation of the universe, creation of the world, daily telegraph, gravity, history of time, human reason, isaac newton, laws of physics, leonard mlodinow, london, mind of god, physicist stephen, spontaneous creation, stephen hawking, triumph