Giving thought for food on space missionNovember 30th, 2009 - 5:56 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Nov 30 (IANS) Most people are familiar with the awe-inspiring images of space shuttle launches or images of the earth from the International Space Station. But how many people have paused for even a second to think about what those astronauts eat when they’re on a two-week space shuttle mission or are living for months on the International Space Station?
The Astronaut’s Cookbook - Tales, Recipes, and More - written by NASA veterans Charles T. Bourland and Gregory L. Vogt gives a first look at what astronauts eat while being in space.
Soviet cosmonaut Gherman Titov was the first human to consume food in space, and John Glenn, Jr., the first American to consume food in space.
The Cookbook gives readers instructions and recipes on how they can cook their own space food.
Besides, celebrity chefs Rachael Ray and Emeril Lagasse contributed recipes to the NASA space program, and their recipes are featured in the book, including Rachael Ray’s 5-Vegetable Fried Rice with 5-Spice Pork.
Co-author Charles Bourland’s extensive experience working with NASA’s food program gives a behind-the-scenes look.
Anecdotes throughout the book share unique stories about the NASA food program, including one astronaut’s quest to eat Georgia BBQ in space.
Bourland spent 30 years at the NASA Johnson Space Center developing food and food packages for space flights. He began his work during the Apollo 12 program and continued through the early years of the International Space Station, says a release of the book authors.
Gregory L. Vogt is a veteran writer, science consultant, and developer of science and technology materials for schools.
A former science teacher himself, Vogt has been director of an interactive science museum, an education specialist with the Astronaut Office at the NASA Johnson Space Center, and a consultant to museums.
- The Astronaut's Cookbook reveals what space travellers' meals are like - Nov 27, 2009
- What astronauts should eat in space - Jan 19, 2010
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour ends final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- NASA transfers shuttle Discovery to museum - Apr 20, 2012
- Atlantis' landing ends final mission after 30 years of space shuttle era - Jul 21, 2011
- NASA delays Endeavour launch again - May 02, 2011
- NASA delays shuttle Endeavour's launch - Apr 30, 2011
- Shuttle Discovery back to Earth post 13-day final mission - Mar 10, 2011
- No spaceship, yet NASA wants more astronauts - Nov 17, 2011
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour docks with International Space Station - May 19, 2011
- NASA calls off Endeavour launch attempt due to technical problem - Apr 30, 2011
- First private spacecraft launched to space station - May 22, 2012
- Private spacecraft to make second supply run to ISS - Aug 24, 2012
- First American woman in space dies of cancer - Jul 24, 2012
- Space shuttle Atlantis makes final landing - Jul 21, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,