Gagarin event ends with fireworks display in MoscowApril 13th, 2011 - 11:12 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 13 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia’s commemoration of the 50th anniversary of Yury Gagarin’s 108-minute journey into space concluded Tuesday evening in Moscow with coordinated fireworks display across the capital.
The massive salute to the Soviet hero involved sending up 50 fireworks at 13 locations, including Sparrow Hills overlooking the centre of the city.
The celebrations were ordered by President Dmitry Medvedev.
All the fireworks were made in Russia, a spokesperson added.
The first manned spaceflight took place April 12, 1961, when Gagarin blasted off from Baikonur in Vostok spacecraft. He parachuted to earth less than two hours later in Russia’s Saratov region.
Events marking the anniversary were held in Baikonur and Saratov, as well as other Russian cities and 70 countries around the world.
Earlier, hailing Yuri Gagarin’s flight into space 50 years ago as a “symbolic” and “revolutionary” event, Medvedev said his country still dreams about “conquering” other planets and flying to distant stars.
The first manned flight in space remains a landmark for mankind, he said in an interview with China Central Television.
“I believe it was a truly revolutionary event, a highly symbolic one. It was a tremendous achievement of Soviet cosmonautics, which divided the world into ‘before’ and ‘after’ the flight what has been termed the ’space era’,” Medvedev said.
“I am proud of the fact that it was my country that made this first step,” he said.
- Gagarin's daughter wants to register his trademark - Feb 01, 2011
- Russia dreams of conquering other planets: Medvedev - Apr 12, 2011
- Sotheby's sells pre-Gagarin spacecraft for $2.8 million - Apr 13, 2011
- UN declares April 12 as International Day of Space Flight - Apr 08, 2011
- Russian spacecraft docks with ISS - Apr 07, 2011
- Russia launches cosmonaut recruitment drive - Jan 27, 2012
- Gagarin statue unveiled in London - Jul 14, 2011
- ISS crew to launch mini-satellite Aug 3 - Jul 22, 2011
- World should unite to send manned flight to Mars: Cosmonaut - Apr 12, 2011
- Queen guitarist dedicates song to Gagarin - Apr 12, 2011
- Russia launches manned spacecraft - Apr 05, 2011
- Russia may send woman to ISS - Dec 08, 2011
- Russian cosmonaut to speak on 50 years of human space flight - Jun 03, 2011
- First woman in space turns 75 - Mar 06, 2012
- Yuri Gagarin's historic space flight recreated in movie - Mar 24, 2011
Tags: 50th anniversary, baikonur, china central television, cosmonautics, distant stars, dmitry medvedev, evening in moscow, fireworks display, flight into space, journey into space, manned flight, manned spaceflight, minute journey, revolutionary event, ria novosti russia, russian cities, saratov region, sparrow hills, yuri gagarin, yury gagarin