Fructose is the bad sugar, not glucoseApril 25th, 2009 - 1:35 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, April 25 (IANS) A 10-week study has thrown up evidence that consumption of fructose-sweetened, not glucose-sweetened beverages, can adversely affect both sensitivity to insulin and how the body handles fats, creating conditions that invite heart attacks and strokes.
In the study, conducted by Peter Havel and colleagues at the University of California-Davis (UCD), overweight individuals consumed glucose-or fructose-sweetened beverages that provided 25 percent of their energy requirements for 10 weeks, said a UCD release.
During this period, individuals in both groups put on about the same amount of weight, but only those who consumed fructose-sweetened beverages exhibited an increase in intra-abdominal fat.
Further, only these individuals became less sensitive to the hormone insulin (which controls glucose levels in the blood) and showed signs of dyslipidemia (increased levels of fat-soluble molecules known as lipids in the blood).
- Fructose worse than glucose for human health - Apr 21, 2009
- Fructose does not increase food intake or impact weight: Extensive study - Feb 11, 2011
- Fructose-sweetened drinks increase cardiac disease risk in obese - Feb 13, 2009
- Mother's sweet tooth bad for girls, not for boys - Feb 27, 2011
- Fructose-sweetened drinks increase heart disease risk for obese adults - Feb 13, 2009
- Sugar-sweetened drinks linked to higher BP - Mar 01, 2011
- Plant oil may be a key in the fight against obesity - Mar 24, 2011
- Images of high-calorie food create craving - Jun 26, 2012
- High fructose levels make maturing fat cells fatter, less insulin-sensitive - Jun 22, 2010
- Exercise can undo effects of maternal obesity - Feb 10, 2012
- Wrong kind of sugar ups risk of diseases - Jun 26, 2008
- Molecular 'switch' that contributes to cellular aging process identified - Dec 01, 2010
- What makes fructose fattening? - Feb 10, 2011
- Regular soda intake spikes stroke risk - Apr 22, 2012
- Human enzyme holds promise of weight loss - Nov 15, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,