Fourth conference on open software on in Kerala capitalDecember 27th, 2011 - 11:04 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Dec 27 (IANS) The fourth international Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) Conference, Kerala, got under way here Tuesday.
The three-day conference was inaugurated by the release of doves as a symbolic representation of freedom, characteristic of free software, by the dignitaries present.
Delivering the keynote address, S.V. Raghavan, scientific secretary to the principal scientific adviser to the Indian government, said that the complexity of the task of building information and software assets for the nation was formidable.
“FOSS provides a powerful, flexible and customizable model for addressing this need. FOSS provides robust technologies, tools and development methodologies which make the decentralized creation of content, as well as its verification feasible in a scalable manner,” he said.
In his inaugural address, K.S. Srinivas, the state’s special secretary, IT, said that FOSS fulfils a clear need in developing solutions for e-governance, especially given the needs of responsiveness and transparency.
“Kerala was the first state to embark on the path of FOSS in the country and in the world. The government of Kerala is committed to continuing efforts to propagate the use of FOSS,” he said.
Successful FOSS applications of the Kerala government, such as IT@School and InSight is being showcased at the meeting and a workshop on
‘Open Source Hardware’ will be held for students on Friday.
The inaugural event was attended by representatives from Africa, Latin America, Europe, and US in addition to India.
Previous conferences were held in 2001, 2005 and 2008.
- Kerala adopts free and open source software in education - Nov 15, 2009
- Visually challenged teachers learn computers - Aug 04, 2011
- Kerala to formulate separate policy on ICT in education - May 28, 2010
- 45,000 Kerala students to be trained in IT - Dec 21, 2010
- Open Source Software saves Indian IT@schools program $2 million - Jul 23, 2009
- Five Kerala schools get infotech upgrade - Dec 29, 2010
- Kerala development model is sustainable: Experts - Sep 12, 2012
- Intel donates 625 laptops for Kerala e-learning school project - Oct 02, 2011
- Differently-abled students in Kerala to be made computer literate - Nov 01, 2011
- IT@School to give 60,000 DVDs to school teachers in Kerala - Jul 13, 2010
- World Wide Web conference begins in Hyderabad - Mar 28, 2011
- 'New class 10 ICT textbook with animation and GIS' - Feb 27, 2012
- Kerala school project gets global recognition - Dec 02, 2010
- Kerala's ICT textbook to teach audio, video technology - Feb 21, 2011
- IT@School to enroll 60 lakh Kerala students under UID project - Sep 14, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,