First session of IIT-Mandi from this year: Anand SharmaFebruary 24th, 2009 - 8:48 pm ICT by IANS
Mandi (Himachal Pradesh), Feb 24 (IANS) The first session of the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), which will be set up in Himachal Pradesh’s Mandi district, will start this year, Minister of State for External Affairs and Information and Broadcasting Anand Sharma said Tuesday.
“From this session, the IIT would start holding classes. It’s a historic moment for all of us,” Sharma said while laying the foundation stone of the IIT at Kamand village, 11 km from Mandi, on the banks of a tributary of the Beas river.
“The central government last year decided to increase the number of IITs in the country to 15 from the existing seven. Six (IITs) started functioning last year and this (IIT-Mandi) and IIT-Indore would start admission process from this year,” he said.
“The central government had allocated Rs.Rs.1,000 crore (Rs.10 billion) for this (Mandi) IIT,” he said, thanking the state government for providing 530 acres for establishing the institute.
Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal, who was present at the function along with cabinet ministers and legislators, thanked the central government for setting up the prestigious technical institute in the state.
“The government will provide all facilities to start an IIT at a temporary location in Mandi town till necessary infrastructure has been created here,” he said.
The IIT would admit students in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and computer science and engineering streams. The central government has sanctioned 40 seats in each stream.
Initially, IIT-Roorkee director S.C. Saxena has been given the additional charge of IIT-Mandi.
The decision to establish an IIT in Himachal was announced by then finance minister P. Chidambaram while addressing a rally in Shimla Oct 2, 2007. He also announced the opening of a central university in the hill state.
Earlier in the day, Sharma laid the stone of another IIT at Ropar in Punjab.
- Himachal IIT's second session to be held in Mandi - Dec 18, 2009
- 'IIT Mandi to start session from this year' - Feb 03, 2009
- Sibal meets directors of new IITs - Oct 21, 2010
- Anand Sharma lays foundation of IIT in Mandi - Feb 24, 2009
- Himachal keen to expand airports - Apr 06, 2012
- Eight IIM-B graduates awarded gold medals - Mar 30, 2012
- IIT student held for woman's murder in Shimla - Feb 28, 2010
- IIT student confesses to murder of woman in Shimla (Lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Parliament passes IIT bill - Apr 30, 2012
- Dhumal lays stone of engineering college - Apr 10, 2011
- Hyderabad steals the show in IIT-JEE (Lead) - May 26, 2010
- Hyderabad boy tops IIT-JEE test - May 26, 2010
- Himachal seeks funds for apple post-harvesting facilities - May 08, 2012
- Murder accused IIT student sent to judicial custody - Mar 06, 2010
- States unwilling to join new IIT-JEE format - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: beas river, cabinet ministers, central government, chief minister, crore, external affairs, finance minister, foundation stone, himachal pradesh, indian institute of technology, indore, laying the foundation, mandi district, minister of state, necessary infrastructure, p chidambaram, ropar, rs 1, s c saxena, shimla