‘Fatherhood hormones’ to help bonding with babyAugust 16th, 2010 - 1:32 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 16 (IANS) Levels of the “cuddle chemical oxytocin” rise in new fathers to help them bond well with their babies. Fatherhood also triggers a surge in prolactin, a hormone more commonly linked to milk output in new mothers.
Both hormones were believed to help mother and baby bond. But they seem to benefit men too, suggests new studies, reports the Daily Mail.
Professor Ruth Feldman of the Bar-Ilan University, Israel, said: “This seems to be evolution’s way of helping men turn into good parents as soon as they have a baby.”
“These hormones seem to have a powerful role in helping men bond with their newly-born children,” he added.
Feldman studied levels of the two hormones in new fathers in the six months after the arrival of their first.
The men were also filmed cuddling and playing with their kids, showing strong linkage between hormone levels and how good they were at playing and communicating with their babies.
It is believed that in the months after becoming a father, the hormones rewire men’s brains, steeping them in greater empathy.
Writing in the journal Hormones and Behaviour, the professor said: “It is possible that, as the father’s daily encounters with his infant increase… the prolactin and oxytocin systems reorganise and create new connections.”
This could go some way to explain why some men appear to be reformed personalities after having children.
- 'Cuddle chemical' rush is what turns men into fathers - Aug 16, 2010
- Mother, father show similar love hormone levels after childbirth - Aug 22, 2010
- Without dads, kids grow up to become anti-social - Jul 23, 2009
- Breastfeeding linked to stronger maternal response to infant's cry - Apr 21, 2011
- Love hormone nasal spray could cure shyness - Sep 24, 2010
- 'Cuddle chemical' could help schizophrenics - Jul 17, 2010
- 'Fathers responsive to kids have low testosterone' - Sep 10, 2012
- Love hormone also fosters kindness among monkeys - Jan 06, 2012
- 'Cuddle' spray to make men more loveable - May 01, 2010
- Cuddle chemical oxytocin advances negative emotions - Aug 02, 2011
- Cuddle chemical improves social cognition only in less socially proficient people - Sep 22, 2010
- Weddings are a way of lining up baby-sitters for the future! - Feb 11, 2010
- If you're a nice guy, thank your genes - Apr 11, 2012
- Oxytocin, love hormone, could cure shyness - Sep 26, 2010
- Cuddle chemical boosts flagging male libido - Apr 09, 2012
Tags: baby bond, bar ilan university, brains, cuddle chemical, cuddling, daily mail, empathy, having children, hormone levels, hormones, linkage, mail professor, mother and baby, new mothers, oxytocin, personalities, prolactin, reorganise, ruth feldman, university israel