Facebook plans to go public to raise $87bnMay 4th, 2012 - 11:25 am ICT by IANS
Washington, May 4 (IANS) Facebook will go public with a stock price of $28 to $35 to set the popular social network’s valuation as high as $86.6 billion, according to documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
At the midpoint of the initial range, $31.50, the initial sale of more than 337 million shares of Facebook stock would net more than $10.6 billion, with about $5.6 billion of that going to the company.
The rest will go to existing stockholders who are selling their shares, including CEO and cofounder Mark Zuckerberg and venture capital investors such as Palo Alto-based Accel Partners.
The company’s valuation at the midpoint of the suggested range would be about $78 billion, short of many projections that Facebook would shoot for a valuation of up to $100 billion.
Initially established in a Harvard dormitory by Zuckerberg and some friends as college-specific social networks closed off to interested outsiders, Facebook eventually opened up to the world and became the most popular social network in history, with more than 900 million monthly active users.
However, Facebook’s profits dipped in the first three months of 2012 when compared with the same quarter in 2011.
While sales hit $1.06 billion in the first quarter, up 45 percent from the year-ago quarter, thanks to a 37 percent increase in advertising revenue, Facebook’s total profit dropped to $205 million, from $233 million a year ago.
Facebook’s most anticipated stock debut for Silicon Valley in several years is expected to set records for funds raised and valuation for an Internet company.
Google’s IPO in 2004, which set the company’s value at $23 billion and reaped $1.9 billion for the Mountain View search giant, is the largest for now.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Facebook set to raise $16 bn with largest tech IPO - May 18, 2012
- Facebook's early investors likely to sell shares worth billion dollars - Apr 28, 2011
- Facebook to be valued at over $100 bn in 2012 - Nov 29, 2011
- Facebook CEO upgrades relationship status - Married (Lead) - May 20, 2012
- Facebook files for $5 bn IPO - Feb 02, 2012
- Mark Zuckerberg buys a new mansion - May 06, 2011
- Mark Zuckerberg may need to pay $2 billion in taxes - Feb 08, 2012
- Facebook CEO commits to lock his stock for 12 months - Sep 05, 2012
- Facebook to become publicly-listed company - Jan 30, 2012
- Facebook discussing filing IPO in 2012 - Nov 30, 2011
- Mark Zuckerberg sued by Facebook investors - Jun 05, 2012
- Sony announces $3.1 billion annual loss - May 27, 2011
- Facebook buys Instagram for $1 bn (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Six Indian-Americans in Forbes Midas 100 - Apr 07, 2011
- Zuckerberg's private Facebook photos goes viral - Dec 07, 2011
Tags: accel partners, advertising revenue, arun kumar, cofounder, dormitory, facebook, first three months, google, initial range, internet company, mark zuckerberg, midpoint, outsiders, quarter thanks, securities and exchange commission, silicon valley, social networks, stock price, stockholders, venture capital investors