Every panchayat to be linked to broadband networkJune 4th, 2009 - 3:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 4 (IANS) The government plans to connect every panchayat to a broadband network in the next three years and expects to reach 40 percent rural tele-density in the next five years.
The initiative is part of its ambitious target to drastically improve infrastructure in the villages under its Bharat Nirman (Build India) programme.
Announcing the government’s plans at a joint sitting of the new parliament, President Pratibha Patil Thursday said: “The rural telecommunication target will be set at reaching 40 percent rural tele-density in the next five years.”
She added that the government envisaged “expanding broadband coverage to connect every panchayat to a broadband network in three years.”
Patil said: “The scheme for common service centres or e-kiosks will be suitably repositioned to be a network of panchayat-level Bharat Nirman Common Service Centres to provide government services to citizens in rural areas.”
Going by the new targets, as many as 1.20 crore (12 million) rural houses would be built in the next five years and this is double the target of six million units that was met by the previous government.
The government also expects to complete its rural water supply programme in the next two years and hand it over to the panchayats to manage them.
The president also said new targets would be set up for rural electrification, irrigation projects and road connectivity in the rural areas.
- Telecom links in all Indian villages by 2014: BSNL - Mar 25, 2012
- TRAI recommends $6 bn national broadband network - Dec 08, 2010
- For every 40 rural households, a welfare scheme volunteer - May 23, 2011
- 79,924 panchayats have broadband connections - Apr 01, 2010
- C-DOT transfers optical fibre technology to firms - Dec 05, 2011
- Free roaming, high broadband speeds in new telecom policy - Oct 10, 2011
- Telecom growth due to government policy and entrepreneurship - Sep 14, 2010
- Data, not voice, will now drive telecom growth: Report - Dec 13, 2011
- Economy-related highlights of president's address - Jun 04, 2009
- BSNL to provide 3G telecom services at affordable prices - May 16, 2010
- India adds 11.9 mn subscribers in June - Jul 30, 2009
- 4.9 crore rural jobs created in 2009-10: UPA report - Jun 01, 2010
- C-DOT to transfer optical fiber technology to firms Monday - Dec 04, 2011
- Food security bill near ready, hike in social sector spending - Feb 28, 2011
- 'Bharat Nirman' houses to be doubled: Economic survey - Feb 25, 2010
Tags: ambitious target, bharat, common service, connectivity, density, government services, irrigation projects, kiosks, New Delhi, next five years, panchayat, panchayats, parliament, president pratibha patil, rural areas, rural electrification, rural houses, rural water supply, targets, telecommunication