Even ancient Greeks and Romans enjoyed spooky ghost storiesNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:36 am ICT by admin
She wrote a book entitled ‘Haunted Greece and Rome: Ghost Stories from Classical Antiquity’ in 1999, whereby she revealed how similar the thrilling stories of ancient Greek and Roman times were to many of the modern ghost stories.
“For example, the Roman author Pliny the Younger, in a letter to a friend of his that has survived the centuries, tells a wonderful little ghost story about a haunted house in Athens,” she says.
“It’s a prototypical haunted house story: the horrific ghost of an old man scares everyone away, the house is deserted and falling into disrepair. Finally a brave man comes along who dares to spend the night in the house. He is not afraid of the ghost, and instead realizes the phantom wants to communicate. He follows the ghost to a spot where it disappears; he digs up the spot, finds bones, buries them with the proper rituals, and the ghost never appears again,” she adds.
Felton is now writing another book titled ‘Things That Went Bump in the Night: Strange Stories from Ancient Greece and Rome’, to be published by University of Texas Press.
She appreciates the scary stories from antiquity a lot.
“I think these Roman stories are great, and most people don’t realize that ghost and werewolf stories like these were being told 2,000 years ago,” she says. (ANI)
- Spooky tales from the hills - Jul 10, 2012
- With 'Haunted', audiences queue up to get terrorised again - May 17, 2011
- 'The Woman In Black'-Cliched, obvious and loud (IANS Movie) - Feb 17, 2012
- 'Ghost Adventures Crew' want to probe 'haunted' 'Idol' mansion - Mar 28, 2011
- Paranormal Activity 2 New Trailer Out - Oct 03, 2010
- Zac Efron grew up next to spooky house - Aug 09, 2010
- Being Human Brings In Freshness To SyFy - Jan 19, 2011
- I believe in ghosts: Bengali children's writer (Interview) - Nov 29, 2010
- Harry Potter's Felton, Twilight's Greene team up for new ghostly movie - Feb 10, 2010
- 'Ghost writer' back to her spooky ways - Dec 05, 2010
- Brit dog walker 'snaps Victorian Age ghost in park' - May 15, 2010
- Euro 2012: Greek grit secures win, knocks out Russia - Jun 17, 2012
- Record 227 paranormal events spooked Britain last year - Sep 27, 2010
- Radcliffe wants to visit Indian ghost town (With Images) - Jan 26, 2012
- We all are prisoners of fame: Mahesh Bhatt - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: ancient greece, ancient greek, ancient greeks, brave man, bump in the night, classical antiquity, ghost stories, ghost story, haunted house, letter to a friend, little ghost, pliny the younger, proper rituals, prototypical, rome, scary stories, spend the night, spooky ghost, supernatural