Emissions of toxic nitrogen gases over urban India growing at 5.5 pc per yearNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:43 am ICT by admin
As such, in order to mitigate the causes of pollution, policy makers ought to know the hardest hit regions, he said.
“Nitrous oxide emissions over India is growing at an annual rate of 5.5 percent/year and the location of emission hot spots correlates well with the location of mega thermal power plants, mega cities, urban and industrial regions,” said Dr Ghude.
“Data from the 11-year time series of GOME and SCIAMACHY provide valuable information to improve estimates of nitrogen dioxide emissions as well as to identify the source regions and to study the regional ozone chemistry in light of seasonal meteorology,” he said.
Dr. Ghude used NO2 data acquired from 1996 to 2006 by the Global Ozone Monitoring Experiment (GOME) instrument aboard ESA’s ERS-2 satellite and the Scanning Imaging Absorption Spectrometer for Atmospheric Chartography (SCIAMACHY) instrument aboard ESA’s Envisat, to identify the major NO2 hotspots, quantify the trend over major industrial zones and identify the largest contributing regions.
He presented his findings the previous week at ESRIN, the European Space Agency’s Earth Observation Centre in Frascati, Italy. (ANI)
- Air quality monitoring system for Commonwealth Games by July-end (Commonwealth Games Countdown) - Jun 30, 2010
- Scientists detect ozone-depleting species in atmosphere - Feb 26, 2009
- Now Delhiites can get to know the air they breathe - Mar 13, 2011
- Air at Games Village, venues polluted, shows study - Oct 11, 2010
- Air quality monitoring system for CWG launched (Lead) - Sep 22, 2010
- Atmospheric carbon dioxide levels on the rise - Jun 29, 2010
- UN praise for India's pollution monitoring system for Commonwealth Games - May 09, 2010
- Space-borne laser instruments needed to measure volcanic ash: Scientists - May 30, 2010
- Experts study black carbon, tropospheric ozone's role in climate change - Feb 21, 2011
- Breathe easy, breathe clean during Commonwealth Games - Nov 12, 2009
- CWG: Air quality monitoring system launched - Sep 22, 2010
- Delhi air quality was worst in March: Study - Apr 02, 2012
- UN praise for India's pollution monitoring system - Apr 15, 2011
- NASA scientist shows how to slow global warming - Jan 17, 2012
- Springtime ozone increases above western US linked to emissions from abroad - Jan 24, 2010
Tags: consumption patterns, earth observation centre, ers, frascati italy, global ozone, gome instrument, industrial regions, nitrogen dioxide, nitrogen gases, nitrous oxide emissions, no2, ozone chemistry, pollution policy, provide valuable information, rapid industrialisation, regional ozone, scanning imaging, source regions, thermal power plants, urban india