Electronics industry facing demand and supply gapAugust 27th, 2011 - 5:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 27 (IANS) The Indian electronics industry has been facing a growing demand and supply gap due to the slow rate of increase in domestic production, Minister of State for Communications and IT Sachin Pilot has said.
“The rapid growth in the demand for electronics, clubbed with the slow rate of increase in domestic production, has resulted in an increasing demand-supply gap in the industry,” the minister said in a written reply to the Lok Sabha earlier this week.
According to the latest data present with the department of telecommunications, while the demand for electronics stood at $45 billion in 2008-09, goods worth $20 billion only were produced in India.
The minister said that in order to encourage manufacturing of electronic items in the country, the government was mulling the possibility of setting up an electronics development fund.
This fund will promote innovation, research and development, Indian intellectual property and development of Indian microprocessor.
- Electronics development fund to promote innovation soon: Official - Feb 21, 2011
- Opportunity in developing electronics system: Pilot - Aug 30, 2011
- Indian real estate sector to face shortfall of professionals - Nov 17, 2011
- India may face 200 mn tonnes coal shortage - Sep 21, 2011
- Need better standards in electronics manufacturing: CII - Sep 25, 2011
- India to discuss outsourcing curbs with Obama (Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- 80 percent telecom equipment to be home-made by 2020: Sibal - Oct 10, 2011
- Indian mining industry to face skilled manpower shortage - Mar 13, 2011
- India plans sovereign fund to buy coal assets abroad - May 04, 2012
- Pranab lowers 2011-12 growth projection to 7.5 percent - Dec 02, 2011
- Plan panel's coal import projection could push prices - Sep 24, 2011
- India Post mops up Rs.274,720 crore in 2011 - Nov 23, 2011
- Family Doctor to open 300 clinics for primary healthcare - May 30, 2012
- And now, Karnataka to boost electronic hardware growth (Lead) - Nov 11, 2009
- Karnataka unveils animation policy to woo investments - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: demand and supply, electronics development, gap, India, indian electronics industry, innovation research, intellectual property, Lok Sabha, microprocessor, minister of state, New Delhi, pilot, rapid growth, reply, research and development, telecommunications