Dumb blonde? Jokes apart, they’re brightJanuary 17th, 2011 - 2:57 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 17 (IANS) A research has dispelled the myth that beautiful blondes and handsome men are not very bright.Studies conducted by the London School of Economics (LSE) have found that they possess greater intelligence and have IQs 14 points above average.
The children of these couples will tend to inherit both qualities of looks and brains, building a genetic link over successive generations between them, according to the journal Intelligence.
“Physical attractiveness is significantly positively associated with general intelligence, both with and without controls for social class, body size and health,” said a Daily Mail report quoting the LSE researcher Satoshi Kanazawa in the Sunday Times.
In other research on social standing, he found that middle-class girls tended to have higher IQs than their working-class counterparts.
In the UK, the study found that men who are physically attractive had IQs an average 13.6 points above the norm while women were about 11.4 points higher.
Kanazawa’s findings were based on the National Child Development Study, which followed 17,419 people since their birth in a single week in March, 1958.
Throughout their childhood up to early adulthood, they were given a series of tests for academic progress, intelligence and marked on appearance.
The American research was taken from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health, which involved a similar study of 35,000 young Americans.
Kanazawa said: “Our contention that beautiful people are more intelligent is purely scientific. It is not a prescription for how to treat or judge others.”
- Attractive people have higher IQs: Study - Jan 17, 2011
- Good-looking couples likelier to have daughters: Study - Nov 29, 2010
- Higher intelligence linked to liberal political ideology, atheism - Feb 25, 2010
- Babies fed on demand have higher IQ - Mar 19, 2012
- Brainy men 'less likely to cheat' - Mar 01, 2010
- Pretty women tend to give birth to girls - Nov 30, 2010
- Why 'men like blonde bombshells' and 'most suicide bombers are Muslim' - Dec 01, 2010
- Prenatal pesticide exposure tied to lower IQ - Apr 21, 2011
- Financial reward can help one do better on IQ tests - Apr 27, 2011
- Intelligent people more likely to be liberal, atheists - Feb 27, 2010
- Low IQ scores linked to increased suicide attempts in men - Jun 04, 2010
- Shun junk food for improving kid's IQ - Aug 08, 2012
- Junk food diet in early childhood may lower IQ - Feb 08, 2011
- Breastfed babies 'grow up to be more intelligent' - Mar 14, 2011
- Worrying, intelligence may have co-evolved - Apr 13, 2012
Tags: academic progress, beautiful blondes, beautiful people, child development, class girls, contention, daily mail, dumb blonde jokes, early adulthood, genetic link, handsome men, london jan, london school of economics, mail report, middle class, national longitudinal study, national longitudinal study of adolescent health, physical attractiveness, satoshi kanazawa, young americans