Drinking beetroot juice lowers blood pressureJune 29th, 2010 - 3:55 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 29 (IANS) The nitrate content of beetroot juice can lower blood pressure levels, says a study.
The researchers of Queen Mary University of London found that blood pressure (BP) was lowered within 24 hours in people who took nitrate tablets and people who drank beetroot juice.
The research is a welcome news for people with high BP as they can now use a ‘natural’ approach to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease (including stroke and heart attacks) - the world’s biggest killer.
Study author Amrita Ahluwalia, professor of Vascular Biology at Queen Mary’s said: “The investigation was able to demonstrate that the nitrate found in beetroot juice had beneficial effects upon cardiovascular health by increasing the levels of the nitric-oxide in blood.”
“We gave inorganic nitrate capsules or beetroot juice to healthy volunteers and compared their blood pressure responses and the biochemical changes occurring in the circulation,” she added, according to a university release.
These findings were published online in the American Heart Association journal Hypertension.
- Nitrate in beetroot juice reduces BP - Jun 29, 2010
- Nitrates in spinach make you big, strong - Feb 02, 2011
- 'Beetroot boosts runners' speed, stamina' - Apr 26, 2012
- Chances of heart attack, stroke rise with BP - Dec 20, 2011
- How beetroot juice boosts stamina - May 20, 2010
- Tomatoes can save you from high cholesterol - May 19, 2011
- Beetroot juice helps elderly prevent dementia - Nov 03, 2010
- Beetroot juice could help people enjoy more active lives - Dec 18, 2010
- Blood vessel dysfunction linked to heart disease also plays role in Alzheimer's - Dec 03, 2010
- Leafy greens 'could help protect vascular health' - Mar 24, 2011
- 2 glasses of orange juice a day 'can lower BP, cut heart disease risk' - Nov 23, 2010
- Sugar-sweetened drinks linked to higher BP - Mar 01, 2011
- Daily intake of beetroot juice boosts stamina - Aug 07, 2009
- Beetroot juice gives stamina a boost - Aug 07, 2009
- New proteins that regulate blood pressure, flow identified - Jul 08, 2010
Tags: american heart association, beneficial effects, biochemical changes, blood pressure levels, bp, cardiovascular health, heart attacks, hypertension, journal hypertension, june 29, natural approach, nitrate content, nitric oxide, queen mary university, queen mary university of london, risk of cardiovascular disease, study author, university of london, vascular biology, welcome news