Discovery astronauts finish third, final spacewalkMarch 24th, 2009 - 11:19 am ICT by IANS
Washington, March 24 (DPA) Two Discovery space shuttle astronauts completed maintenance work Monday on the International Space Station during the final spacewalk of the ongoing mission in orbit.
During the six-and-a-half hour spacewalk, astronauts Joseph Acaba and Richard Arnold repositioned an equipment cart, deployed an external cargo mounting mechanism, lubricated the space station’s robotic arm and reconfigured cables that power the station’s gyroscopes.
This is the second spacewalk for both Acaba and Arnold and the final spacewalk of the current shuttle flight.
On Friday, the Discovery crew completed installation of the station’s fourth and final pair of solar panels to expand the satellite’s power supply.
Discovery docked March 17 with the International Space Station, bringing cargo including the solar panels.
The mission delivered astronaut Koichi Wakata, who has officially joined the permanent crew on the orbiting space station as its first Japanese member. He replaces US astronaut Sandra Magnus, who will join the Discovery crew for the flight back to Earth.
The shuttle launched March 15 after weeks of delays to inspect and study the hydrogen fuel valves and a later leak in a fuel vent. Discovery is scheduled to end its 13-day mission on Saturday.
- Astronauts take call from White House - Mar 25, 2009
- ISS, Discovery astronauts get solar panel in place - Mar 19, 2009
- Discovery astronauts install solar panel on spacewalk - Mar 20, 2009
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour ends final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- Space shuttle Discoverys next mission postponed to March 15 - Mar 12, 2009
- NASA's shuttle Discovery glides home after successful mission - Mar 29, 2009
- Space shuttle Discovery sets off to power International Space Station - Mar 16, 2009
- Space shuttle Discovery set to return to Earth for final time - Mar 08, 2011
- Space shuttle Discovery docks with space station - Mar 18, 2009
- Plan to turn life on orbiter into reality show dropped - Mar 13, 2009
- Space shuttle Discovery lifts-off after delays - Mar 16, 2009
- Space shuttle Discovery lands on Earth after final mission - Mar 10, 2011
- NASA delays shuttle Endeavour's launch - Apr 30, 2011
- Space shuttle Discovery lifts off for final voyage - Feb 25, 2011
- Russia confirms new crew members for ISS - Apr 26, 2012
Tags: astronaut, discovery astronauts, discovery crew, discovery space shuttle, fuel valves, gyroscopes, hydrogen fuel, international space station, japanese member, joseph acaba, magnus, maintenance work, march 17, richard arnold, robotic arm, shuttle flight, solar panels, space shuttle astronauts, spacewalk, wakata