Dinosaurs may have been smaller than previously believedJune 23rd, 2009 - 12:39 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 23 (IANS) Dinosaurs, the largest animals ever to have walked the face of the earth may not have been as big as previously thought, according to the latest research.
Scientists have found that the original statistical model used to calculate dinosaur mass is flawed, which means that dinosaurs have been possibly oversized.
Gary Packard from Colorado State University said: “Paleontologists have for 25 years used a published statistical model to estimate body weight of giant dinosaurs and other extraordinarily large animals in extinct lineages. By re-examining data in the original reference sample, we show that the statistical model is seriously flawed and that the giant dinosaurs probably were only about half as heavy as is generally believed.”
According to the new research, these predictions have implications for a number of theories about the biology of dinosaurs, ranging from their energy metabolism to their modes of locomotion.
These findings were published in the Journal of Zoology in June.
- Dinosaurs were actually "thin-osaurs"! - Jun 21, 2009
- Dinosaurs were actually "thin-osaurs" - Jun 26, 2009
- Scientists solve dinos' tree-top eating riddle - Aug 05, 2012
- Asteroids hit earth more frequently than thought - Apr 26, 2012
- 250mn-year-old footprints discovered push back dino evolution by 9mn yrs - Oct 06, 2010
- 'Giant flea fed on dinosaur blood like mosquitoes' - May 02, 2012
- For 80mn years, Tyrannosaurs were the size of humans - Sep 17, 2010
- How dinosaurs conquered the world! - Oct 07, 2010
- Chinese paleontologists discover large feathered dinosaur - Apr 06, 2012
- How prehistoric sabretoothed cats coped with their oversized teeth - Feb 26, 2011
- Ostriches' flying technique provides clues to dino moves - Jul 01, 2010
- High tech demystifies giant dinos' feeding habits - Jul 17, 2012
- Giant dino's footprints may have created "death pits" 160 mln yrs ago - Jan 20, 2010
- Dinosaurs probably had lice: Study - Apr 06, 2011
- Dinos were alive for '700,000 yrs after the mass extinction' - Jan 28, 2011
Tags: animals, biology, colorado state university, dinosaur, energy metabolism, face of the earth, gary packard, giant dinosaurs, journal of zoology, june 23, lineages, london, modes, research scientists, statistical model