Diaper alarm effective for toilet training kidsJune 5th, 2009 - 4:14 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 5 (IANS) Use of a diaper alarm has been found to be effective in toilet training kids, according to a new study in Antwerp, Belgium.
Thirty-nine healthy young children between 18 and 30 months old were selected at random for a wetting alarm diaper training or control placebo alarm.
Toilet behaviour was observed at different intervals. First, during a 10-hour period by independent observers before the study, then at the end of the three-week trial and finally two weeks after training.
Children in the wetting alarm diaper training group achieved independent bladder control 51.9 percent of the time and did significantly better than the control group’s 8.3 percent.
Parents or day-care providers are informed quickly by the alarm when the diaper is soiled and wet.
The alarm thus releases care-takers from continuous observation of their charges and allows the adults to carry out their activities as long as they stay within the reach of the signal.
Toilet training is a milestone in a child’s development and rearing. The potential for side-effects such as hygienic problems, skin irritation and social embarrassment continues until a child has acquired the skills associated with toilet training.
The age of initiation of toilet training has increased from under 18 months in the late 1940s to 21-36 months today, said a Neurology release.
The convenience of disposable diapers, pull-up diapers and more efficient laundry facilities may contribute to this trend. Parents may also choose to postpone toilet training out of a belief that their child is too young to be trained.
These findings appeared in the journal Neurology and Urodynamics.
- Theron loves changing diapers - May 30, 2012
- Blame constipation for bedwetting woes - Jan 30, 2012
- Kids with lung disease prone to serious infections at daycare - Sep 27, 2010
- Duff wants husband to be stay-at-home dad - May 19, 2012
- Britain to recycle diapers into roof tiles - Sep 13, 2011
- Marijuana cigarette found in child's lunchbox in US - Dec 10, 2011
- Better not to advise moms on raising kids - Jun 18, 2012
- British teachers want toilet-trained pupils - Feb 08, 2012
- Gene linked to hereditary incontinence identified - Jun 14, 2010
- Gene linked to hereditary incontinence identified - Jun 08, 2010
- Mum who fails to toilet-train kids loses custody - Jul 15, 2011
- Families in Mexico daycare fire make film to demand justice - Jun 04, 2011
- School to ban kids who are not toilet-trained - Jun 04, 2011
- Bonham Carter wore nappies on 'Harry Potter' sets - Apr 24, 2012
- Yogurt-like drink DanActive cuts rate of common infections in daycare kids - May 20, 2010
Tags: 1940s, antwerp belgium, bladder control, care takers, continuous observation, control group, day care providers, diaper training, disposable diapers, independent observers, initiation, intervals, journal neurology, laundry facilities, milestone, skin irritation, social embarrassment, toilet training, training group, urodynamics