Department of IT will now be DeitYApril 18th, 2012 - 10:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 18 (IANS) The Department of Information Technology (DIT) has been renamed Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY) to give importance to the electronics sector.
The department will be formally rechristened by union Communications Minister Kapil Sibal Thursday.
“Recently, the cabinet secretariat amended the Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules 1961 and renamed the Department of Information Technology as Department of Electronics and Information Technology,” the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology said in a statement Wednesday.
Earlier the Department of Information Technology was called Department of Electronics.
In October 1999, it was initially made Ministry of Information Technology. But with the merger of Departments of Telecommunications and Posts in the ministry, in December 2001, the department acquired its current name of Department of Information Technology.
However, in recent years, there has been a feeling that the electronics sector has not been given adequate importance by the government. This resulted in a demand from various quarters of industry, academia and other stakeholders that the department should provide increased focus to the electronics sector.
The department is also in the process of initiating several measures to renew the thrust to the Electronics System Design and Manufacturing (ESDM) in the country. A new National Policy on Electronics is under finalization and a draft of the same was released by the communications minister last October.
- Department of IT gets new name - Apr 20, 2012
- Opportunity in developing electronics system: Pilot - Aug 30, 2011
- National Policy on Electronics aims to employ 28 mn people: Sibal - Oct 03, 2011
- Cabinet approves special incentives for electronics sector - Jul 12, 2012
- Government notifies guidelines for social media use - Aug 23, 2012
- Hardware and manufacturing segment to be strengthened: Sibal - Dec 09, 2010
- Telecom equipment production needs to grow: Sibal - May 06, 2011
- Software, services sector to grow to $105 bn by 2014 - Aug 22, 2011
- Sibal kicks off new year with new telecom policy promise - Jan 01, 2011
- Sabyasachi Patra is new MAIT executive director - Dec 06, 2011
- 80 percent telecom equipment to be home-made by 2020: Sibal - Oct 10, 2011
- Telecom panel to meet again on mergers, license norms - Nov 28, 2011
- 45,000 youth in northeast to get IT training - Apr 12, 2012
- Rural Service Delivery exhibition begins in Delhi - Mar 24, 2011
- Canada-India Innovation Summit at Ottawa - May 31, 2011
Tags: academia, business rules, cabinet secretariat, deity, department of information technology, electronics system, esdm, finalization, government of india, kapil sibal, measures, merger, ministry of information, ministry of information technology, New Delhi, quarters, secretariat, stakeholders, thrust, union communications