Delhi Metro’s Vishwavidyalaya-Jahangirpuri corridor opens Feb 4February 3rd, 2009 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 3 (IANS) The Vishwavidyalaya-Jahangirpuri corridor of the Delhi Metro Tuesday was flagged off by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit here. The line will be open to public Feb 4, an official said.The 6.3-km long stretch in north Delhi having six stations - namely Vishwavidyalaya, GTB Nagar, Model Town, Azadpur, Adarsh Nagar and Jahangirpuri - opened to public nine months before its target date of Oct 2009.
For having completed the project before target, Dikshit congratulated the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation. Later, she rode on the first train of the line and got off at the Jahangirpuri station.
“The line is expected to greatly benefit commuters of northwest Delhi, coming from areas like Maurice Nagar, Kingsway Camp, Derawal Nagar, Gujrewalan, Malkaganj, Ashok Vihar and Narela, who earlier had to take buses to commute,” the DMRC official said.
“The total operating Metro network with the opening of this section will become about 74.5 km with 67 stations,” he added.
The line is an extension of the Central Secretariat-Vishwavidyalaya line. Train services on the corridor from Central Secretariat to Vishwavidyalaya will be available with a frequency of 3 minutes 40 seconds from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. while train services from Vishwavidyalaya to Jahangirpuri will be available with a frequency of 7 minutes 20 seconds, the official said.
With the commissioning of the new line, the stretch is now 17.36 km from Central Secretariat to Jahangirpuri and has 15 stations.
- Secretariat-Kashmere Gate Metro line expected by 2015 - May 25, 2012
- Delhi Metro's Central Secretariat-Qutub Minar line opens Friday - Sep 02, 2010
- Delhi Metro chief inspects ongoing work - Feb 10, 2012
- Efforts on to minimise Metro snags, say officials - Mar 30, 2012
- Metro's Central Secretariat-Qutub Minar line opened - Sep 03, 2010
- Metro services to be curtailed on R-Day - Jan 23, 2012
- Three Metro stations to close for two hours Wednesday - Jul 25, 2012
- Delhi Metro's new stretch to open Saturday - Aug 26, 2011
- Vishwavidyalaya-Jahangirpuri metro corridor to be operational Feb 3 - Jan 29, 2009
- Metro ridership touches 18 lakh, sets new record - Aug 02, 2011
- Delhi Metro's Central Secretariat-Qutub Minar line to open Friday - Aug 31, 2010
- Delhi Metro to connect more hospitals - Apr 11, 2012
- Delhi Metro to begin operations at 2 p.m. on Holi - Mar 05, 2012
- Delhi Metro's new stretch opens - Aug 27, 2011
- 32,000 footfalls on Central Secretariat-Qutub Minar Metro link - Sep 03, 2010
Tags: adarsh, ashok, central secretariat, chief minister, commuters, delhi metro rail, delhi metro rail corporation, first train, kingsway, line train, long stretch, metro network, model town, New Delhi, nine months, north delhi, secretariat, sheila, target date, train services