Delhi metro completes its longest tunnel by single boring machineApril 22nd, 2009 - 10:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 22 (IANS) The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) Wednesday completed construction of its longest tunnel by a single boring machine, that too in a record time span, officials said.
The 1.7 km long tunnel is so far the longest constructed by single tunnel boring machine in the Delhi Metro. Till now, two 1.45 km long tunnels constructed between Malaviya Nagar and Hauz Khas were the longest.
“The break through happened at Khan Market area today. The tunnel was completed in just 152 days. Another major feat was that 37.5 metres of tunnelling was completed in a day with the installation of 25 rings, which is an Asian record,” said DMRC spokesperson Anuj Dayal.
A total of 1,227 rings were installed for the construction of the tunnel, which is a part of the 2.53 km long Central Secretariat - Khan Market stretch. This in turn is a part of the under construction Central Secretariat - Badarpur corridor of the metro.
The second phase of Delhi Metro comprises about 30 km of underground section of which about 18 km are being built using tunnel boring machines.
- Metro completes first tunnel of Phase III - Jul 26, 2012
- Metro Phase III will be built by 2016 - May 02, 2012
- Delhi Metro kickstarts efforts to decongest Rajiv Chowk - Jan 31, 2012
- Metro construction picks up; traffic snarls expected - Apr 21, 2012
- Delhi Metro's tunnelling nearly over for Phase II - Oct 12, 2009
- Top Delhi Metro official resigns - Apr 19, 2012
- Construction work on Badarpur-Faridabad Metro link begins - Mar 28, 2012
- Secretariat-Kashmere Gate Metro line expected by 2015 - May 25, 2012
- Delhi Metro makes longest bridge segment - Feb 28, 2010
- DMRC signs MoU with Haryana for Badarpur-Faridabad link - Mar 26, 2012
- Delhi Metro chief inspects ongoing work - Feb 10, 2012
- Delhi Metro to add 800 lifts and escalators - Jan 06, 2012
- Woman gives birth to girl on Metro train (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Delhi Metro bags national award in non-film category - Mar 07, 2012
- Faridabad to come on Delhi Metro line - Mar 25, 2012
Tags: anuj, central secretariat, delhi metro rail, delhi metro rail corporation, dmrc, hauz khas, khan market, New Delhi, record time, second phase, secretariat, spokesperson, time span, tunnel boring machine, tunnel boring machines, tunnels, underground section