Decision on Bt. Brinjal not influenced by NGOs: JairamFebruary 25th, 2012 - 5:21 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Feb 25 (IANS) Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh Saturday said the decision to ban the commercial use of Bt. Brinjal has not been influenced by NGOs and added use of bio-technology for the crop to be consumed by humans needed to be carefully evaluated first.
Speaking to reporters on a visit here, Ramesh said his decision was based on wider consultations with stakeholders.
“No NGO influenced my decision,” Ramesh told reporters. The decision to put on hold the commercial release of the Bt. Brinjal was taken in February 2010.
The remarks by the minister assume significance in the wake of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s interview to a science journal in which he had referred to the opposition of NGOs to genetic engineering technology and associated research in the country.
Ramesh told reporters that the decision to put a moratorium on the commercial release of Bt. Brinjal was taken after seven months of consultations with the public, various stakeholders including the states, farmers and NGOs. He said he had written about the issue to the chief ministers of all states.
The minister said that there was no scientific consensus on Bt. Brinjal and the full protocol on the test has not been completed.
The prime minister said in hhis interview that the country must make use of genetic engineering technology to increase agricultural productivity. He said that NGOs funded by the US and Scandinavian countries were not fully appreciative of the developing challenges that the country faces.
- Decision on Bt. Brinjal not influenced by NGOs: Jairam (Second Lead) - Feb 26, 2012
- Bt.Brinjal decision not influenced by NGOs, asserts Jairam (Lead) - Feb 26, 2012
- Parliamentary panel seeks probe into Bt Brinjal (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Parliamentary panel seeks probe into Bt Brinjal (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Prime Minister to discuss Bt-brinjal issue - Feb 24, 2010
- No question of lifting moratorium on Bt Brinjal: Ramesh - Sep 27, 2010
- Bt Brinjal moratorium to stay: Ramesh - Feb 24, 2010
- No decision taken on Bt Brinjal: Jairam Ramesh - Feb 02, 2010
- Baba Ramdev talks tough on BT brinjal issue - Jan 31, 2010
- India says 'no' to Bt Brinjal, pending scientific tests (Roundup) - Feb 09, 2010
- India says no to Bt Brinjal, pending tests (Second Lead) - Feb 09, 2010
- No GM crop trials without states' consent: Jairam Ramesh - Mar 09, 2011
- Biotechnology should not harm bio-diversity: Ramesh - Apr 19, 2010
- 'Ban on Bt brinjal hurting Indian scientists' - Jan 26, 2011
- Jairam Ramesh faces ire of Andhra farmers over BT Brinjal issue in Hyderabad - Jan 31, 2010
Tags: agricultural productivity, bio technology, chief ministers, consensus, consultations, development minister, engineering technology, farmers, genetic engineering, jairam ramesh, manmohan, manmohan singh, moratorium, ngo, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rural development, scandinavian countries, science journal, seven months