Darwin’s evolution theory in doubt because of a new theory in the journal ‘Biology Letters’August 25th, 2010 - 10:58 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Bristol, Aug 25 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Charles Darwin is called the father of evolution. And that is for a good reason because his theories on evolution have been taught and learnt since he published them in 1859. But the question today is that is the theory unchallengeable?
A new research published in the journal Biology Letters is opposed to Charles Darwin’s theory on evolution that states that it is competition and the will to survive that drives evolution. That is to say, the survival of the fittest and the strongest.
But the new study says that evolution is driven by the amount of physical space available rather than competition and survival instinct that drives evolution. According to the new theory, evolutionary changes happen when species and organisms move into new space or develop new means to habitat.
According to the new theory, “The new study proposes that really big evolutionary changes happen when animals move into empty areas of living space, not occupied by other animals…For example, when birds evolved the ability to fly, that opened up a vast range of new possibilities not available to other animals. Suddenly the skies were quite literally the limit, triggering a new evolutionary burst.”
A team at the University of Bristol carried out the new study and the findings have already gotten some people scratching their heads. Some have out rightly rejected the new theory while others believe that the motivation to move into a new space is triggered by competition, thereby proving Darwin’s theory to be true.
- Darwin may have been wrong according to the new evolution theory of Biology Letters - Aug 25, 2010
- Indian-origin researcher challenges Darwin's 'survival of the fittest' theory - Aug 24, 2010
- New Evolution Theory Published In "Biology Letters" Questions Charles Darwin's Theory Of Evolution - Aug 25, 2010
- New Study Published In 'Biology Letters' Challenges The Theory Of Evolution Of The Famed Charles Darwin - Aug 25, 2010
- New genetic study helps solve Darwin's mystery of evolution of flowering plants - Apr 11, 2011
- Picture of Darwin's family tree discovered - Aug 25, 2010
- Muslim students in Britain boycotting lectures on evolution - Nov 27, 2011
- Slow and steady really does win the race - Mar 23, 2011
- New evolutionary research knocks down living 'missing link' theory - Feb 11, 2011
- Incest puts an end to sexual violence among animals - Dec 03, 2010
- Karl Marx died poor; Darwin, Dickens richer - Aug 12, 2010
- Study proves Darwin's theory of universal common ancestry - May 13, 2010
- All life forms share single genetic inheritance? - May 17, 2010
- Darwin's genetic history suggests he came from a long line of adventurers - Feb 05, 2010
- Why humans actively help each other - May 04, 2011
Tags: animals, birds, burst, charles darwin, doubt, empty areas, evolution, evolutionary changes, fly, good reason, journal biology, living space, motivation, organisms, physical space, possibilities, survival instinct, university of bristol