Cuba raps Facebook, YouTubeJanuary 16th, 2011 - 4:49 pm ICT by IANS
Havana, Jan 16 (IANS) Cuba has denounced online social network Facebook and Google-owned video sharing network YouTube for closing its account and censoring video links from the two websites.YouTube censored the video channel of the Cuban official site Cubadebate and closed it for “alleged violation of copyright”, xinhua reported quoting Cubadebate.
“Google censors, Facebook, too. Today we woke up under a new attack,” said Cubadebate, which reported the closure of its account on YouTube Friday.
Cubadebate said that YouTube closed its account citing “copyright infringement” in a video on Cuban former CIA agent Luis Posada Carriles, who was on trial this week in the US for immigration fraud.
Cubadebate’s account on Facebook was also closed after it demanded YouTube restore the Cubadebate channel.
“How can these two companies appear to be the Apostles of Copyright?” Cubadebate questioned, noting Google had been accused of “monopolistic practices” and Facebook of “theft of ideas.”
According to Cubadebate, at the time Google closed its YouTube channel, it had more than 400 videos, including interviews and messages from former Cuban leader Fidel Castro. The channel had 1.6 million downloads since its opening nearly three years ago.
- YouTube launches iPhone app with advertisements - Sep 12, 2012
- Bieber, Gaga become copyright victim - Aug 31, 2011
- Twitter fuels Fidel Castro death rumor - Jan 05, 2012
- YouTube wins court case in Spain on intellectual property - Sep 24, 2010
- Video accounts for half of mobile data traffic - Feb 24, 2012
- Maradona expresses admiration of Castro - Jul 25, 2010
- Google unveils social network to challenge Facebook - Jun 29, 2011
- Raul Castro hints at easing of Cuba's migration policy - Aug 02, 2011
- Castro confirms he won't be in top Cuban leadership - Apr 19, 2011
- Google unveils new ultra-high speed internet - Jul 27, 2012
- `Sesame Street' channel cleansed of porn put by hackers - Oct 18, 2011
- You tube unveils live broadcasting service - Apr 12, 2011
- PMO now on Youtube - Mar 11, 2012
- Castro to release first volume of memoirs in August - Jul 28, 2010
- Fidel Castro releases two-volume memoir - Feb 05, 2012
Tags: 6 million, apostles, cia agent, closure, copyright infringement, cubadebate, cuban leader fidel, cuban leader fidel castro, facebook, fidel castro, google, havana, immigration fraud, luis posada carriles, monopolistic practices, raps, video channel, video links, xinhua, youtube