CSIR seeks industry’s help for India’s first innovation complex (Lead)September 7th, 2012 - 11:29 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 7 (IANS) In an initiative to marry science and industry, the head of India’s premier industrial research and development body Friday exhorted business leaders to contribute to the setting up of the country’s first Innovation Complex near here.
“We have brought all the laboratories under Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) under one umbrella so that research can be translated to commerce for the growth of the country’s economy. There will be pilot plants at the facility as well,” said CSIR Director General Samir K. Brahmachari, while delivering a lecture on ‘Frugal Innovation and Beyond: New CSIR for New India’.
The Rs.100 crore CSIR Innovation Complex - a 22-acre facility in South 24 Parganas district’s Baruipur, about 30 km from Kolkata - is aimed at boosting commercialisation of innovations. It is scheduled to be completed by 2014.
“In West Bengal, we will be looking at leather, pottery, surgical instruments, agro-implements, jute and gems and jewellery, for starters,” said Brahmachari, about CSIR’s focus in industries.
“Industries should pump in their resources in the research and development sector. Scientists can convert money into knowledge, but only the businessmen and industries can translate knowledge into money,” said Brahmachari.
- CSIR to build India's first innovation complex - Sep 07, 2012
- CSIR, a jewel in India's crown: FICCI - Nov 12, 2010
- Cost of bone grafting, dental filling to come down - Oct 25, 2009
- Mahindra's maiden aircraft completes successful test flight - Sep 14, 2011
- CSIR asks sacked Indian American scientist to vacate house - Nov 07, 2009
- Scientists give India strategic edge: Ashwani Kumar - Aug 12, 2011
- Indian origin scientist ousted from CSIR after report row - Nov 10, 2009
- 50 innovation clusters to help MSMEs: Pitroda - Mar 28, 2012
- Youth should undertake innovative research: Deshmukh - Sep 26, 2011
- Eight get Priyadarshni Foundation's global awards - Sep 19, 2012
- Pitroda proposes a Rs.1,000-crore corpus to spur innovation - Sep 09, 2010
- West Bengal's jute industry seeks way out of crisis - Mar 06, 2011
- Task force set up for barrier-free public buildings - Oct 29, 2010
- Bengal addressing technical manpower shortage, says minister - Jun 10, 2012
- Cabinet approves setting up of Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research - Jun 17, 2010
Tags: acre facility, business leaders, businessmen, commercialisation, crore, csir, development sector, director general, gems, innovations, jewellery, jute, new india, pilot plants, premier industrial, research and development, samir, starters, surgical instruments, west bengal