Cranberry juice better at fighting bugsOctober 30th, 2011 - 4:48 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 30 (IANS) Cranberry juice is far better than its extract in fighting a bio-film, formed by a resistant layer of bugs that spur infection, new research says.
The study explored mechanisms that the virulent form of E. coli bug, the primary cause of most urinary tract infections in people, uses to form bio-films.
“What we have shown is that cranberry juice’s ability to prevent bio-films is more complex than we may have originally thought,” said study co-author Terri Camesano, professor of chemical engineering at Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI).
“For a while, the field focused on these proanthocyanidins or PACs (a group of flavonoids found in cranberry extract), but the data shows that they aren’t the silver bullet,” added Camesano, the journal Food Science and Biotechnology reports.
The virulent form of E. coli is covered with small hair-like projections known as fimbriae that act like hooks and latch onto cells that line the urinary tract, according to a WPI statement.
When enough of the virulent bacteria adhere to cells, they form a bio-film and cause an infection.
Camesano’s team, which included graduate student Paola Andrea Pinzon-Arango and intern Kerrie Holguin, incubated two different strains of E. coli in the presence of two different mixtures of commercially available cranberry juice cocktail.
They also incubated the bacteria separately in the presence of PACs, but not juice.
- Cranberry juice can block Staph infections - Sep 02, 2010
- Cranberry juice fights urinary infection - Sep 16, 2010
- New strain of killer E. coli decoded - Jul 27, 2012
- How cranberry juice battles urinary tract infections - Jul 16, 2010
- Cranberry can help prevent urinary tract infections - Mar 10, 2009
- Cranberry juice can prevent urinary tract infections - Jul 26, 2008
- Bugs filch copper to spread urinary infections - Jul 09, 2012
- Cranberry juice can fend off urinary tract infections - Jul 22, 2008
- Cranberry Juice may help in kids' bladder infections - Sep 10, 2012
- New testing method for cranberry products to know UTI treatments' efficacy - Apr 22, 2010
- How E. coli triggers urinary infections - Jan 19, 2012
- Cranberry sauce may protect against host of human illnesses - Nov 14, 2007
- Cranberry juice not effective against urinary tract infections: Study - Dec 09, 2010
- New approach for treating urinary tract infections - Aug 17, 2012
- Drinking 100-pc fruit juice 'as healthy as eating whole fruits' - Apr 12, 2011
Tags: arango, chemical engineering, co author, cranberry juice cocktail, e coli, fimbriae, flavonoids, journal food science, kerrie, latch, mixtures, oct 30, pacs, pinzon, proanthocyanidins, silver bullet, urinary tract infections, virulent bacteria, worcester polytechnic institute, wpi