Court acts on Microsoft plea on software piracyJune 16th, 2012 - 4:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 16 (IANS) The Delhi High Court, on a plea by Microsoft Corporation, has restrained the sale of branded computers with pirated software by a Mumbai computer vendor.
Justice Manmohan Singh, granting permanent injunction last month on the suit, ordered the vendor selling branded computers loaded with pirated operating system and other application software from Microsoft, to pay a penalty of Rs.2 lakh as damages.
The court’s order came on a petition filed by the company seeking its direction to restrain a vendor, @Gizahertz, in Mumbai from selling computers loaded with unlicensed versions of software such as Windows 7, Windows Vista and MS Office.
Microsoft had claimed infringement of its copyrights and other intellectual property rights by the vendor who was selling branded computers with the company’s software without taking authorisation.
Microsoft said in the petition that in July 2010, “it came to know that the defendant (the vendor) was infringing plaintiffs’ (company’s) copyrights and other intellectual property rights by loading the hard disk of the plaintiffs’ software programmes on to branded computers which are sold by them to their customers, without taking any authorisation from the plaintiffs to do so.”
- 13 mn illegal publications seized in China - Sep 04, 2011
- Chinese local governments to use legal software - Apr 11, 2012
- Windows 8 heads to computer manufacturers - Aug 02, 2012
- Clooney, Roberts sue electronics companies - May 02, 2012
- Wikipedia to shut down website for 24 hours - Jan 17, 2012
- Wikipedia, Google join anti-piracy bill protest (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Microsoft finally loses Word patent battle - Jun 10, 2011
- Now, earn a $20,000 bounty by exposing your boss using pirated software! - Sep 14, 2010
- Court bans illegal telecast of World Cup cricket matches (Lead) - Feb 21, 2011
- Microsoft loses appeal on Word patent verdict - Apr 02, 2010
- Microsoft ordered to stop selling Word software by Jan 11 - Dec 23, 2009
- Microsoft announces automatic upgrades for Internet Explorer - Dec 16, 2011
- Microsoft petitions for review of Word case - Jan 09, 2010
- US Supreme Court hears Microsoft appeal on Word patent - Apr 18, 2011
- Facebook buys AOL patents from Microsoft - Apr 24, 2012
Tags: application software, authorisation, computer vendor, defendant, delhi high court, intellectual property rights, lakh, manmohan, manmohan singh, microsoft corporation, ms office, New Delhi, office microsoft, permanent injunction, plaintiffs, plea, rs 2, selling computers, software piracy, unlicensed versions