Country’s first GPS-based auto fare calculator launchedJanuary 12th, 2011 - 8:11 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Jan 12 (IANS) A Kochi-based firm Wednesday launched what it claimed as India’s first multi-platform auto fare calculating application that uses GPS.MindHelix Technologies claimed that its “Tuk Tuk” meter, a mobile phone application, will enable the commuter to get accurate fare from auto-rickshaws thus puting a stop to their being cheated on false fare claims.
The meter is the first multi-platform application in India that can dynamically calculate the distance travelled using Global Positioning System (GPS) and the fare due, a company official said.
The space-based GPS satellite navigation system, provides precise location and time information anytime anywhere on Earth. The system, developed by the United States Department of Defense, is freely accessible by anyone with a GPS receiver.
The new application runs on smart phones with Android, Blackberry or Symbian operating systems without any need for manual entry of distance or fare. It can be downloaded free from www.tuktuk.mindhelix.com, Christin Emmanuel George, co-founder and CEO of MindHelix Technologies, said.
It can be started as one enters the autorickshaw and the meter in the phone will run alongside the auto’s meter. Using the GPS, it can double-check the distance travelled as shown in the auto and calculate the exact fare, explained George.
“The ‘Tuk Tuk’ meter does not require an internet connection or service provider. It functions even in remote areas. The application has a simple user interface that consists of a Start-Stop button and can be customised for any location by entering the fare details,” George said.
MindHelix Technologies is a start-up company formed in December 2010. The company focuses on mobile applications development.
- Kochi IT firm launches app for women's security - Jun 30, 2011
- Salman shoots action scenes on tuk-tuk - Feb 22, 2011
- Chandigarh turns pink with 'Tuk-Tuk' auto-rickshaw - Sep 09, 2009
- Tuk-tuk from Shillong to Jaisalmer for clean water - Sep 09, 2012
- Students' ideas ready for incubation in Kerala - Sep 05, 2012
- Delhi auto, taxi rides costlier (Lead) - Jun 22, 2010
- Auto-rickshaw rally passes Mumbai, raising water awareness - Jan 06, 2011
- Court dismisses petitions against GPS systems for Delhi autos - Sep 17, 2012
- Dial-an-auto soon in Maharashtra - Apr 03, 2012
- Autorickshaw users expect smooth ride after court order - Nov 12, 2011
- Auto rickshaws all set to paint Chandigarh pink - Aug 11, 2009
- Indefinite auto strike in Delhi from Wednesday - May 17, 2011
- Cycle rickshaws to get face-lift in Chandigarh - Aug 23, 2009
- Auto strike hits Delhi hard - Mar 31, 2011
- Auto strike cripples Delhi; unions refuse to budge - May 20, 2011
Tags: applications development, autorickshaw, christin, exact fare, fare calculator, george co, global positioning system, global positioning system gps, gps receiver, mobile applications, new application, phone application, platform application, precise location, satellite navigation system, start up company, tuktuk, united states department, united states department of defense, using global positioning system