Coastal radar network by mid-2013, says ministerAugust 22nd, 2012 - 9:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 22 (IANS) India’s ambitious project to install coastal surveillance network with a chain of static radar and electro-optic sensors at 84 places along the 7,500-km coastline is slated for completion by the middle of 2013, parliament was informed Wednesday.
“The network is envisaged to be fully functional by middle of next year,” Defence Minister A.K. Antony told the Rajya Sabha in written replies to questions.
He also noted that in the first phase of the project, 46 sites along the coast will have the radars operationalised in clusters.
“A coastal surveillance network consisting of a chain of static radar and electro-optic sensors at 84 remote sites is envisaged all along the coast line, including the island territories to detect movement of suspicious vessels.
“In the first phase, 46 radars (36 on main land and 10 in island territories) are being operationalised in clusters,” he said.
Antony also pointed out that concerned coastal states are cooperating and providing full assistance for executing the project in time.
- Antony inaugurates Maharashtra cluster of coast surveillance system - Aug 25, 2012
- India opens coastal radar chain to plug surveillance gap (Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- Coast Guard to be largest water protection force by 2018 - Sep 27, 2011
- Govt. launches Rs. 350 cr project to set up radar sensors along coastlines - Oct 18, 2010
- India aiming for real-time maritime domain awareness: Antony - Oct 25, 2010
- Coastal surveillance station will be commissioned in Tarapore, says Antony - Oct 25, 2010
- Antony sets two-month deadline for coastal radars - Aug 02, 2012
- BEL to flag surveillance products at defence expo - Mar 28, 2012
- India's coastal security plan yet to take off (Three years after 26/11) - Nov 25, 2011
- Coastal security radar stations to be ready this year - Feb 15, 2012
- India on radar of terrorists, getting threats everyday: Antony - Dec 24, 2010
- Antony sets two-month deadline for coastal radars (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Antony reviews progress in tightening coastal security - Nov 12, 2009
- India test-fires n-capable 'Shourya' missile - Sep 24, 2011
- India beefs up coastal security with new system - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: ambitious project, antony, clusters, coastal states, coastal surveillance, coastline, defence minister, India, island territories, New Delhi, optic sensors, parliament, project 46, radar network, rajya sabha, surveillance network