Chinese female astronauts may catch flightMarch 12th, 2012 - 2:31 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, March 12 (IANS) The initial selection of crew members for China’s first manned space docking mission has been completed, and it includes female astronauts, an official said.
But the final three-person crew will be decided “on the very last condition”, said Niu Hongguang, deputy commander-in-chief of the country’s manned space program.
The manned spacecraft Shenzhou-9 will take its crew members to board the Tiangong-1 space module lab, which was launched in September last year and completed the country’s first space docking with the unmanned Shenzhou-8 spacecraft in November, reported Xinhua.
The selected astronauts are in training at the moment, Niu said on the sidelines of the annual parliamentary session.
“The perfect docking between Shenzhou-8 and Tiangong-1 has laid the perfect foundation for the manned docking this year,” Niu said, noting that the manned docking will feature brand new technology.
Tiangong-1, or Heavenly Palace-1, has been orbiting normally for more than 160 days, and is capable of docking with Shenzhou-9 and accommodating astronauts, he said.
- China to launch spacecraft for manned space docking - Jun 09, 2012
- China prepares for manned space docking this year - Mar 01, 2012
- Chinese space module gets first-ever residents (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- China to launch two space modules - Apr 30, 2011
- China launches spacecraft - Nov 01, 2011
- China to conduct manned space mission in 2012 - Oct 31, 2011
- China launches Shenzhou-9 with first woman astronaut - Jun 16, 2012
- China to launch manned spacecraft - Feb 18, 2012
- China's space programme has no military purpose - Nov 19, 2011
- China's manned spacecraft docks with space module - Jun 18, 2012
- Chinese spacecraft docks with orbiting module - Jun 24, 2012
- China to send first woman astronaut into space - Jun 15, 2012
- China starts work on manned space laboratory - Oct 27, 2010
- China formally launches its manned space station program - Oct 27, 2010
- China to launch unmanned space module - Sep 20, 2011
Tags: beijing, china, commander in chief, crew members, deputy commander, female astronauts, initial selection, manned space program, manned spacecraft, new technology, parliamentary session, person crew, sidelines, space docking, xinhua