‘Chances of asteroid hitting earth is very real’December 4th, 2008 - 3:15 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 4 (IANS) A football field sized asteroid hitting say New York will obliterate the city in a matter of seconds and all that moves within it.The tidal waves of energy unleashed by the collision would be equivalent to several Hydrogen bombs going off at once, a scenario brought to life by 1998 hit movie Armageddon, starring Bruce Willis.
The chances of an asteroid hitting the Earth one day are very real and blowing up an asteroid in real life, says a Tel Aviv University (TAU) researcher, will be more complicated than in the movies.
Astrophysicists agree that the best method for avoiding a catastrophic collision would be to change the path of the asteroid heading toward our planet.
“For that to work, we need to be able to predict what would happen if we attempt an explosion,” says TAU doctoral student David Polishook, who is studying asteroids with his supervisor Noah Brosch at the department of geophysics and planetary sciences.
Polishook and Brosch are among the few scientists in the world researching the structure and composition of asteroids a critical first step in learning how to destroy them before they reach the Earth’s atmosphere, according to a TAU release.
Their research could prevent catastrophe: blowing up an asteroid may create many equally dangerous smaller asteroids of about 100 metres each in diameter twice the size of the asteroid that created the famous Arizona crater.
“The information we are investigating can have a tremendous impact on future plans to alter the course of asteroids on a collision course with Earth,” says Polishook.
“Science needs to know whether asteroids are solid pieces of rock or piles of gravel, what forces are holding them together, and how they will break apart if bombed.”
The latest results of their research were presented at the 2008 meeting of Asteroids, Comets and Meteors, sponsored by the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in Baltimore.
- How to prevent asteroid collision with Earth - Sep 14, 2010
- How to destroy an asteroid - Dec 04, 2008
- NASA trains astronauts to land on asteroid - May 13, 2012
- NASA could land probe on asteroid hurtling towards Earth - Aug 10, 2010
- Asteroid hit will be catastrophic for India, US, China - Jun 30, 2011
- Apophis asteroid not to strike Earth: Russian experts - Aug 30, 2012
- Meteor hunter finds 4 billion years old asteroid fragments - Apr 27, 2012
- Astrophysicists discover 12 oldest supernovas - Oct 05, 2011
- Giant asteroid to pass between earth, moon - Nov 08, 2011
- Tests identify Earth as moon's sole parent - Mar 30, 2012
- Bombing Earth-bound asteroids may be a viable last resort, experts say - Oct 14, 2010
- Study sheds light on asteroid deflection strategy to avert collision - Jan 29, 2011
- NASA Plans Probe On Earth Bound Asteroid - Aug 11, 2010
- Best time to see the Leonid Meteor Shower 2010 is now - Nov 17, 2010
- Huge asteroid to fly close to earth on November 8th, 2011 - Apr 09, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,