Cancer survivor to become father with years old spermNovember 30th, 2010 - 4:06 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 30 (IANS) Christopher Stone, aged 33, was just 17 when he was told he had testicular cancer. His testicle was removed but samples of his sperm were stored. And now, he is looking forward to the birth of his first child - conceived through in vitro fertilisation (IVF).
Christopher, from Sheffield in Britain, was earlier told the most effective treatment for his disease was to have an operation to remove the affected testicle - a procedure that doctors initially believed had been permanently successful.
Before the operation, samples of sperm were collected and stored to ensure that Christopher had the option of trying to have children at a later date if he chose, the Daily Mail reports.
The disease returned on several occasions over the following years, most heartbreakingly in 2006 when Christopher was told he had testicular cancer again and would need a second surgery.
But today his check-ups have been reduced to once a year, and he and his wife Fiona are looking forward to the birth of a baby boy in January.
Christopher said: “It’s absolutely amazing. We’ve been under the care of the Jessop’s Hospital and the second lot of IVF was successful.”
“Physically I feel fine and, although it’s still worrying each time I go for an appointment, it feels now like we’re turning a corner and looking forward.”
“Once the baby is here in January, it will definitely feel like a new chapter - we’re really excited and just can’t wait!” he added.
- Test-tube sperm promises cure to male infertility - Mar 25, 2011
- New technique to help men become fathers post chemotherapy - Mar 15, 2011
- New IVF test trebles chance of healthy baby - Oct 27, 2010
- Womb transplants possible next year: Expert - Mar 27, 2011
- Britain's Bourn Hall opens second IVF clinic in India - Sep 07, 2012
- Taller men at higher risk of testicular cancer: Experts - Oct 27, 2010
- Taller men at higher risk of testicular cancer - Oct 27, 2010
- Shanghai sperm bank has 100,000 samples - Sep 10, 2012
- India becoming a designer baby factory: Author Kishwar Desai (With Image) - May 31, 2012
- 'Promiscuous' chimps produce more sperm - Feb 17, 2011
- Stress, hectic lifestyle raises IVF demand - Sep 03, 2011
- Sperm quality deteriorating 'likely due to chemical exposure' - Mar 05, 2011
- Marijuana causes testicular cancer - Sep 10, 2012
- Scientists succeed in growing sperm in lab dish - Jan 03, 2012
- Oz soldiers freeze sperm for wives, girlfriends in case they're killed - Feb 27, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,