Cabinet nod for science and innovative research academyJune 17th, 2010 - 4:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 17 (IANS) The cabinet Thursday cleared a proposal
to set up a national academy which will focus on research and impart training in frontier areas of science and technology.
A bill to set up the “Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research” will be introduced in the ensuing monsoon session of parliament, Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni said
after a cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
“The academy will focus on research and teaching and utilising existing resources for awarding degrees that will be internationally recognised,” said Soni.
She said the curricula, pedagogy and evaluation of the academy will be innovative and directed towards creating highest quality personnel in inter-disciplinary areas.
The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) has mooted the idea of setting up the academy as there is a shortage of such institutions in the country.
The academy will have campuses spread across the country in the 37 CSIR laboratories linked through the National Knowledge Network.
Soni said the academy will operate on a self-sustaining mode while utilising the existing resources and facilities of CSIR. The recurring expenses will be Rs.19.10 crore in the 11th Plan and Rs.61.79 crore in the 12th Plan.
There will be no requirement of capital expenditure, she added.
- Cabinet approves setting up of Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research - Jun 17, 2010
- CSIR to build India's first innovation complex - Sep 07, 2012
- CSIR seeks industry's help for India's first innovation complex (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Bill to set up AcSIR introduced in Lok Sabha - Jul 30, 2010
- Rajya Sabha clears research academy bill - Dec 21, 2011
- Youth should undertake innovative research: Deshmukh - Sep 26, 2011
- Mysore to host international summit on space research - Jul 13, 2012
- Cabinet approves Rs.322 crore for drug research institute - Jan 20, 2011
- Cabinet approves proposal to set up world-class drug research institute in Lucknow - Jan 20, 2011
- Industry-institute need to collaborate more in research: Experts - Jan 04, 2011
- CSIR, a jewel in India's crown: FICCI - Nov 12, 2010
- Scientific innovation should be harnessed to needs for conservation: Manmohan Singh - Oct 20, 2010
- Cabinet okays approach paper to 12th Five Year Plan - Sep 15, 2011
- Delhi to get residential school for underprivileged kids - May 14, 2012
- Intel India unveils plan to groom innovators - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: ambika soni, cabinet meeting, cabinet nod, capital expenditure, crore, csir, curricula, disciplinary areas, existing resources, frontier areas, innovative research, knowledge network, manmohan, manmohan singh, monsoon session, national knowledge, pedagogy, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, research academy