BSNL to lease infrastructure, data services to improve businessDecember 3rd, 2011 - 12:19 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 2 (IANS) State-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) plans to lease spare capacity of its 60,000 towers across the country to private players and push on its data offers to reduce its losses and improve its financial health, the government said Friday.
“BSNL has about 60,000 towers across the country. BSNL management has decided to lease out spare capacity of its towers to other private players on commercial terms and conditions to generate incremental revenue,” Minister of State for Communications and IT Milind Deora said in a written reply to the Rajya Sabha.
The telecom operator has posted a loss of Rs.6,384 crore for the financial year 2010-11.
It is also pushing on data usage and value added services, Deora said.
Among other steps taken by BSNL are strengthening of stable revenue streams through concerted focus on broadband and enterprise business with major focus on government projects.
The firm is also focussing on customer care, service delivery and asset management.
- State-run telecom operators turn red - Aug 17, 2011
- BSNL borrowed Rs.1,320.47 crore for capital expenditure - Apr 25, 2012
- Private telcos owe BSNL Rs.550.88 crore - May 02, 2012
- BSNL not involved in 2G scam: Minister - Sep 07, 2011
- Over 20,300 cases of SIM cloning reported so far: Deora - Aug 22, 2012
- Over 37,000 villages have no mobile phones - Sep 04, 2011
- BSNL submits proposal on voluntary retirement to DoT - Nov 30, 2011
- 'MTNL sharing infrastructure with private operators' - Aug 19, 2011
- CVC probing BSNL's WiMAX tender: Kamat - Mar 04, 2011
- MTNL not seeking concessions on 3G price: Kuldip Singh - May 20, 2010
- Market induced reduced tariff lowered BSNL, MTNL revenues: Pilot - Nov 29, 2010
- BSNL, MTNL lost subscribers post mobile number portability - Aug 05, 2011
- BSNL launches Bharat Berry push e-mail service - Nov 14, 2011
- Another 383 post offices to be upgraded - Jan 04, 2011
- BSNL to expand 3G services to 120 more cities by December - Nov 04, 2010
Tags: asset management, business new, crore, customer care service, enterprise business, financial health, government projects, incremental revenue, infrastructure data, minister of state, New Delhi, private players, rajya sabha, revenue minister, revenue streams, rs 6, sanchar nigam ltd, service delivery, telecom operator, value added services