BSNL launches voice, video telephony services over internetJuly 18th, 2011 - 9:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 18 (IANS) State-run Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL), in association with information and communications technology firm Sai InfoSystem (India) Ltd, Monday launched its voice and video telephony services over the internet.
BSNL’s voice and video over internet protocol (VVOIP) technology uses the packet switching technology and makes communication possible over internet protocol (IP) networks.
“Through this service, any customer can make audio and video calls at will on any landline, mobile or internet protocol phone anywhere in the world (except India), provided both the ends have requisite video phone equipment,” the company said in a statement.
“Within India, a customer can make only IP to IP calling within BSNL network,” it added.
The service will cost 40 paise per minute for audio calls and Rs.2 per minute for video calls within the country.
International calls charges to the US will be Rs.1.20 per minute, to Britain Rs.1.20 on landline, and Rs.7.20 to mobile and Rs.1.20 per minute to China.
Monthly charges for the services will be Rs.150.
“This mode of communication is highly affordable compared to conventional video conferencing services. It will drastically reduce the cost of communication and enhance the quality of today’s communication,” said R.K. Upadhyay, chairman and managing director, BSNL .
“We are also making arrangements with leading international carriers to ensure that consumers always reach their international destinations easily and at most affordable rates,” he added.
The service is accompanied by authentication schemes and built in encryption to maintain the privacy and secrecy of the communication.
- BSNL to expand 3G services to 120 more cities by December - Nov 04, 2010
- Sachin Pilot launches unique plan for BSNL customers - Nov 04, 2010
- BSNL 3G services to be in 760 cities by December (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Nov 04, 2010
- Telecom companies revive value of the Indian paisa (Comment) - May 18, 2010
- BSNL to provide 3G telecom services at affordable prices - May 16, 2010
- Reliance communication launches new 3G tablet for Rs.14,499 - Jul 19, 2012
- BSNL's disconnection threat illegal and coercive: Private operators - Sep 13, 2011
- Airtel launches 3G international video calling - Jun 27, 2011
- BSNL launches Bharat Berry push e-mail service - Nov 14, 2011
- BSNL's value-added services launched in Punjab - Apr 10, 2011
- Telecom links in all Indian villages by 2014: BSNL - Mar 25, 2012
- CWG scam: CBI files case against four MTNL officials - Jun 08, 2011
- India seeks 'lawful access' to all telecom data - Aug 31, 2010
- Bharti Airtel forays into mobile advertising segment - May 27, 2012
- No outstanding dues to BSNL: Telcos - Sep 10, 2011
Tags: authentication schemes, communications technology, india ltd, infosystem, international carriers, international destinations, internet new, internet protocol ip, ip networks, landline, packet switching technology, paise, r k upadhyay, rs 2, secrecy, technology firm, video conferencing services, video over internet protocol, video phone, video telephony