BSNL launches 3G services in 12 citiesFebruary 27th, 2009 - 7:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 27 (IANS) State-run telecom operator Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) Friday simultaneously launched its much-awaited third generation (3G) mobile services in 12 cities.
The services have been rolled out on a commercial basis in Agra, Ambala, Jalandhar, Jaipur, Dehradoon, Shimla, Lucknow, Ranchi, Durgapur, Haldia and Patna and in Jammu as a soft-launch, a company statement said.
The telecom giant also announced the 3G tariffs for both pre-paid and post-paid services.
Voice calls will be charged as low as 10 paise per minute under the full value Rs.1,000 plan, while video calls have also been priced economically, starting from Rs.1 under the unlimited Rs.2,500 plan and Rs.2 for long-distance calls.
The 3G services will bring high quality voice services along with high-speed data and video services. The data speed is expected to go up to 2 Mbps or higher.
Applications like video telephony, mobile broadband, mobile television and video-on-demand will be offered to consumers with immediate effect, the company said.
Services like music downloads, video tones, instant messaging, online gaming and bill payment will also be rolled out shortly.
BSNL has invested Rs.27 billion (Rs.2,700 crore) to roll out 3G services in the country. It has planned to cover all district headquarters and important commercial towns in the phase-1 of its ambitious 3G roll-out plan.
- Airtel unveils 4G service in Bangalore - May 07, 2012
- Tata Docomo launches 3G tariff packages - Nov 09, 2010
- Tata Docomo rolls out 3G-service in India's tech hub - Nov 03, 2010
- Airtel slashes 3G data tariff by 70 percent - May 17, 2012
- Sibal launches 4G, admits 3G has 'not successful' (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- BSNL launches Bharat Berry push e-mail service - Nov 14, 2011
- Reliance communication launches new 3G tablet for Rs.14,499 - Jul 19, 2012
- Idea Cellular reaches 1 million 3G subscribers mark - Apr 28, 2011
- Airtel launches 3G services in Congo - Oct 25, 2011
- Huawei to manage Bharti Airtel's 4G network in Karnataka - May 01, 2012
- Revenue from 3G auction reaches Rs.48,677.47 crore - May 07, 2010
- Government kitty swells $15 bn as telcos pay for 3G spectrum - May 31, 2010
- Airtel launches 4G services in Kolkata, first in India - Apr 10, 2012
- Reliance Communication partners to provide 3G data on R World - Dec 03, 2010
- 3G, broadband auction may yield Rs.55,000 cr: Raja - Apr 27, 2010
Tags: 3g services, 3g tariffs, commercial basis, crore, district headquarters, haldia, high speed data, jalandhar, mobile television, paise, quality voice, rs 2, sanchar nigam ltd, shimla, telecom giant, telecom operator, value rs, video telephony, voice calls, voice services