Britain may run out of web addresses by 2012November 14th, 2010 - 3:07 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 14 (IANS) Britain will run out of internet addresses by 2012, warns a web scientist.
Vint Cerf, a Google vice-president, said the “unbelievable” trend could prevent British businesses from communicating with their customers around the world and in the country.
Cerf said the final tranche of web addresses would be allocated between the organisations that provide them to individual customers in Spring next year, and that they would all be used up “sometime in 2012,” the Telegraph reports.
He warned that without the implementation of a new system, “we will run out - there will be address trade and attempts at hijacking”.
The bulk of the internet is currently based on a protocol called IPv4. A new version, called IPv6, is already established, but the majority of internet service providers have yet to turn it on.
The two systems cannot talk to each other, so British users of IPv4 will need either new equipment or a software upgrade.
Cerf criticised the shortsighted business decisions that had led to the situation arising, and opened an event to launch a government-backed British organisation called 6UK to encourage the adoption of IPv6.
“If you don’t do something about this, the UK will not be able to reach the rest of the world that’s on v6,” Cerf said.
“It’s a business issue that’s of relevance to every company that uses the internet to do business. The ISP (internet service provider) will be reduced to selling telephone without a telephone number,” he added.
- Britain 'will run out of web addresses by 2012' - Nov 14, 2010
- Internet pioneer Vint Cerf warns over blips during transition to new system - Nov 12, 2010
- Facebook, Google join web future warning - Jan 16, 2011
- Internet Armageddon is my mistake, says Google chief - Jan 21, 2011
- Government websites will be on new internet protocol by year-end - Jun 06, 2012
- Internet addresses to dry out within a year - Jul 26, 2010
- China eyes next-generation internet - Dec 24, 2011
- Internet to run out of IP addresses 'in 500 days' - May 18, 2010
- Gillard's bid to censor Internet not an 'effective move,' says Vint Cerf - Jan 22, 2011
- Internet will run out of addresses in two years under current protocol: Experts - Nov 03, 2009
- Panel to review advanced internet protocol implementation - Jan 15, 2011
- Last five blocks of Internet addresses to be shared - Feb 02, 2011
- UK govt's plan to block Internet porn 'not possible' - Dec 21, 2010
- World is running out of IOP addresses, warns ''father of the Internet'' - Sep 25, 2008
- Internet will run out of IP addresses by Friday - Feb 03, 2011
Tags: adoption, british businesses, british organisation, british users, business decisions, business issue, cerf, criticised, google, internet addresses, internet service provider, internet service providers, isp internet service, relevance, rest of the world, scientist, telegraph reports, telephone number, tranche, web addresses