Bride and groom administered polio dropsJuly 11th, 2008 - 3:00 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, July 11 (IANS) It may sound strange but it’s true nevertheless. A bride and a groom were administered polio drops by health volunteers in a Bihar village. The groom, five-year-old Rohan Kumar, and his four-year-old bride Soni Kumari were administered polio drops by volunteers of the pulse polio eradication drive at Hisua in Nawada district, about 160 km from here.
“A few minutes before the marriage of Rohan and Soni was to be solemnised inside the premises of a temple, two volunteers requested permission to administer polio drops to them. Initially their parents opposed it but after the volunteers convinced them, they relented,” said a health official involved in the pulse polio eradication drive in the state.
After the polio drops were administered, Rohan, a resident of Dalit tola of Kahunara village under Nadriganj block, was married to Soni, a resident of Dalit tola of Vazirganj block in Gaya district.
In rural Bihar, hundreds of weddings take place in the traditional marriage season known as ‘Lagan’, which is currently on.
In view of child marriages, the district health officials posted volunteers to administer polio drops to children under five years of age, including the bride and the groom.
Bihar reported over 200 polio cases till June this year. “Most of the cases are of the polio P3 virus,” an official said.
The flood-prone Samastipur district tops the list. One case of the deadly P1 polio virus was reported from Saran district.
- Families refuse polio drops in Bihar - Sep 21, 2011
- Polio cases drop significantly, new campaign launched - Jan 22, 2011
- President Patil launches 2011 'Pulse Polio' campaign - Jan 22, 2011
- Polio under control but India aims at eradication: Azad - Oct 23, 2011
- Bihar reported no polio case in last one year - Sep 12, 2011
- Bivalent polio vaccine launched in Delhi, Uttar Pradesh - Feb 07, 2010
- 2011 crucial for India to eradicate polio: WHO - Oct 24, 2011
- India faces polio threat from Pakistan: Minister - Dec 20, 2011
- India determined to eradicate polio: minister - Dec 09, 2011
- Huge response for Meerut polio rally - Jan 22, 2011
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Another round of pulse polio campaign launched in Delhi - Mar 26, 2011
- Pratibha Patil launches bivalent polio vaccine in India - Jan 09, 2010
- WHO commends India's polio free year - Jan 13, 2012
- WHO finds polio virus in Delhi sewage - Feb 15, 2011
Tags: bride and groom, child marriages, district health, few minutes, flood, health official, health officials, health volunteers, lagan, marriage, marriage season, polio, polio cases, polio eradication, polio virus, premises, pulse polio, saran district, tola, traditional marriage