Bloombito, the alter ego of NY mayor on TwitterAugust 31st, 2011 - 12:59 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Aug 31 (IANS/EFE) A new Twitter account that makes fun of Michael Bloomberg’s struggles with Spanish has become so popular that even the New York mayor has not been able to resist the temptation to begin following “@MiguelBloombito”.
Behind “Bloombito” is Rachel Figueroa-Levin, a housewife of Puerto Rican origin who only wanted to entertain her friends and fend off boredom while she waited shut up in her apartment for Hurricane Irene to pass, and it has become a real Twitter phenomenon attracting more than 14,000 followers in just a few days.
“Hola Newo Yorko! El stormo grande is mucho dangeroso!,” said Bloombito in its first tweet Saturday, a few hours before Irene made landfall at Coney Island.
As the hours passed, more and more people began to follow Bloombito’s pronouncements amused by tweets such as “Los trainos y el bussos son muy operationo. Go to worko. No excuso!,” which was posted Monday, the first workday after the storm.
Bloombito’s fame has shot up like a rocket among net surfers, and among them is Bloomberg himself, who is a great fan of the social networks and who informs citizens about his policies via Twitter.
The mayor, on his Twitter account @MikeBloomberg, said to his alter ego, “Are you listening to me?” and posted a link to a video on YouTube of a press conference at which, upon being asked about Bloombito, he smiled and commented, “I have to improve a bit. But it’s difficult - I’m 69 years old - to learn a new language.”
Bloomberg’s habit during many of his public appearances has been to spout brief comments in far-from-perfect Spanish in addressing the Hispanic public, and this behavior led Figueroa-Levin to create the Bloombito profile.
- Hurricane Irene hits US coastal areas - Aug 27, 2011
- Amtrak working to restore service - Aug 29, 2011
- US East Coast braces for monstrous hurricane - Aug 26, 2011
- Maroon 5 helps African refugee crisis - Jul 14, 2011
- NY Mayor Bloomberg rules out 2012 Presidential bid - Dec 13, 2010
- Hurricane Irene leaves a million US homes without power - Aug 28, 2011
- Baldwin returns to New York after hurricane - Aug 30, 2011
- Toddler left on slain father's body - Mar 20, 2012
- Way cleared for mosque near 9/11 'ground zero' - Aug 04, 2010
- Mosque to come up near 9/11 site amid opposition (Lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- Chavez takes to Twitter after surgery - Mar 02, 2012
- Giant cat statue arrives in Colombia - Mar 05, 2012
- US agent accused of buying guns for Mexican cartels - Apr 13, 2012
- Actress Lupe Ontiveros dies - Jul 28, 2012
- Playboy model is the talk of Mexican presidential debate - May 08, 2012
Tags: alter ego, coney island, figueroa, hispanic public, hurricane irene, landfall, levin, michael bloomberg, new language, new york mayor, pronouncements, public appearances, puerto rican origin, social networks, spout, stormo, tweet, twitter, workday, youtube