BlackBerry too launches online application storeApril 2nd, 2009 - 10:26 am ICT by IANS
Toronto, April 2 (IANS) Taking a cue from Apple’s App Store which allows iPhone users to download applications for their smart phones, BlackBerry-maker Research In Motion (RIM) too launched its online store BlackBerry App World Wednesday.
BlackBerry users will now be able to download software, screen backgrounds and games free, though some applications will be charged a minimum of $2.99. Payments will be collected through eBay’s paypal.
BlackBerry App World is designed to automatically present the relevant applications for a user’s specific BlackBerry smart phone model, RIM said in a statement here.
Users can access BlackBerry App World over both Wi-Fi and cellular networks.
The online store is immediately available to BlackBerry smartphone users in the US, Britain and Canada, with more country launches to follow, the Rim statement said.
“BlackBerry App World showcases several applications on its front page carousel, making it easy for users to browse through a select number of featured applications. Featured applications will vary from week to week, helping users discover new applications for practically every aspect of life,” the RIM statement added.
Applications on offer include entertainment, games, maps and navigation, music and video, news and weather, personal finance and banking, personal health and wellness, professional and business, reference and ebooks, social networking and sharing, sports and recreation, and travel.
Though BlackBerry App World will not generate any revenue for RIM as 80 percent of price of each application will go to developers, market watchers say Wednesday’s launch will help RIM expand its share of the rapidly expanding smart phone market.
Launched in July, Apple’s App Store has been a hit with iPhone users as more than 100 million applications were downloaded in the first two months of its launch itself.
- BlackBerry stock sinks as new device is no iPhone 4 'killer' - Aug 04, 2010
- BlackBerry buys software company to beef up apps store - Apr 29, 2011
- BlackBerry signs Indian-led company for tablet apps - Mar 31, 2011
- BlackBerry tablet called 'half baked' product - Apr 15, 2011
- RIM launches upgraded PlayBook operating system in India - Feb 24, 2012
- Started with borrowed money, Apple becomes world's No. 1 company - Aug 11, 2011
- Verizon, AT&T; crucial to BlackBerry tablet sales - Apr 22, 2011
- Don't write us off, warns BlackBerry chief - Apr 16, 2011
- RIM sues app maker over BlackBerry Messenger patent - Dec 02, 2010
- No frenzy crowds to buy BlackBerry tablet on launch - Apr 19, 2011
- BlackBerry unveils PlayBook tablet to take on iPad - Sep 28, 2010
- Google, RIM are now no match for Apple: Analysts - Oct 21, 2010
- BlackBerry Torch Makes Debut But Is BlackPad Following Suit? - Aug 04, 2010
- Now Apple goes after BlackBerry's enterprise base - Jul 12, 2011
- BlackBerry maker downgraded as Apple set to unveil iPad2 - Dec 08, 2010
Tags: application store, business reference, cellular networks, ebay, games maps, iphone, paypal, personal finance, personal health, phone model, relevant applications, research in motion, screen backgrounds, smart phone, smart phones, social networking, software screen, sports and recreation, store toronto, wi fi