BlackBerry defies forecasts to post record profitApril 3rd, 2009 - 10:29 am ICT by IANS
Toronto, April 3 (IANS) Defying market forecasts, BlackBerry maker Research In Motion (RIM) Thursday reported a record profit of $518.3 million on a total revenue of $3.46 billion for the last quarter of fiscal year 2009 ending Feb 28.
The revenue for the last quarter is 24.5 percent more than the $2.78 billion for the third quarter and nearly 84 percent more than the $1.88 billion earned during the same quarter last year.
The world leader in wireless communication has earned a total revenue of $11.07 billion for fiscal year 2009 which ended Feb 28 - up 84 percent from $6.01 billion last year.
RIM also shipped 7.8 million devices during the fourth quarter, taking the total for the whole fiscal year to about 26 million devices.
Overall, it has shipped more than 50 million devices to this date.
The Canadian company also added about 3.9 million new subscribers during the last quarter, taking its total subscription base to 25 million.
In a statement, RIM co-CEO Jim Balsillie said, “We are very pleased to report another record quarter with standout subscriber growth that speaks volumes about the early success and momentum of our new Blackberry products.
“RIM experienced an extraordinary year in fiscal 2009, shipping our 50 millionth BlackBerry smartphone and generating $11 billion in revenue.
“Looking ahead into fiscal 2010, we see exceptional opportunities for RIM and its partners to leverage the investments and success of the past year to continue growing market share and profitability.”
RIM said it expected revenue in the range of $3.3 billion to $3.5 billion for the first quarter of the 2010 fiscal year ending May 30, 2009.
Shares of BlackBerry-maker shot up 14 percent on the Toronto Stock Exchange Thursday after the report.
RIM shares, which have been hovering around of $45 since December, touched almost $60 Thursday.
- BlackBerry now set offer 'super phone' - Mar 25, 2011
- BlackBerry to offer 'super phone', as shares slip (Lead) - Mar 25, 2011
- BlackBerry posts 40 percent growth to beat forecasts - Dec 17, 2010
- BlackBerry holds No 1 position in US, posts $2.46-b profit - Apr 01, 2010
- BlackBerry stock slips on UAE security concerns - Jul 28, 2010
- Torch 9800 most satisfying smart phone from BlackBerry - Nov 23, 2010
- RIM launches upgraded PlayBook operating system in India - Feb 24, 2012
- BlackBerry stock slips as tablet gets lukewarm response - Apr 20, 2011
- BlackBerry announces job cuts as profits, stock plunge - Jun 17, 2011
- BlackBerry now touts Messenger to woo the young - Jul 20, 2010
- BlackBerry cuts 200 jobs after market bleeding - Jun 22, 2011
- RIM unveils five new BlackBerries - Aug 03, 2011
- BlackBerry posts $643 mn profit - Jun 20, 2009
- BlackBerry posts record revenue on Torch sales - Sep 17, 2010
- BlackBerry bosses mum on new launches - Jul 14, 2010
Tags: 50 million, blackberry, ceo jim, fiscal year, fourth quarter, jim balsillie, last quarter, market forecasts, millionth, record profit, record quarter, research in motion, rim, smartphone, standout, subscriber growth, subscription base, toronto stock exchange, wireless communication, world leader