BlackBerry bosses say ‘we are not sweating the iPhone’July 17th, 2008 - 10:04 am ICT by IANS
Toronto, July 17 (IANS) It seems BlackBerry maker Research in Motion (RIM) is not losing its sleep over the euphoria created by the iPhone worldwide. Steering clear of the iPhone, top echelon at BlackBerry maker at its annual general meeting Tuesday night instead talked about bringing out better products in the future. When shareholders quizzed the top management about their response to the iPhone 3G launch, RIM co-chief executive Jim Balsillie reportedly said his company was not “sweating the iPhone.”
He said RIM would keep up the momentum and stay focussed on the future, alluding to the new launches planned by the Canadian wireless giant. To match the iPhone, the company is soon likely to unveil the BlackBerry Bold which matches the Apple’s device feature for feature.
Like the iPhone, BlackBerry Bold will also operate on the much faster, next-generation 3G network and have a built-in GPS.
The company - which has over 16 million BlackBerry subscribers around the world - has seen its base among non-corporate types grow rapidly during the past two years. Accordingly, to woo students, teens and the youth who have fallen madly for the iPhone because of its touch-screen technology, RIM is said to be developing its touch-screen device to be called BlackBerry Thunder.
But the company has not said anything about it yet.
Another device, aimed at older people and moms, may also be unveiled soon.
Perhaps, the company’s new advertising slogan of `BlackBerry for life’ sums up its future plans. The BlackBerry bosses also told the shareholders that India, Brazil and Russia were high on the priority list for the $90-billion company started by a college drop-out in 1984.
- Don't write us off, warns BlackBerry chief - Apr 16, 2011
- BlackBerry likely to unveil new smart phones next week - Apr 28, 2011
- BlackBerry bosses mum on new launches - Jul 14, 2010
- RIM unveils five new BlackBerries - Aug 03, 2011
- RIM unveils thinnest BlackBerry Bold smartphones - May 03, 2011
- Seven new BlackBerries to be unveiled soon - Jul 13, 2011
- RIM unveils thinnest BlackBerry Bold models (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- BlackBerry now touts Messenger to woo the young - Jul 20, 2010
- Not stopping PlayBook tablet, says BlackBerry - Jul 19, 2011
- BlackBerry continues to bleed - Jun 21, 2011
- BlackBerry lowers profit outlook, stock sinks - Apr 29, 2011
- BlackBerry Bold 9900 launched in India - Aug 11, 2011
- Rumours of 'BlackBerry Cyclone' to take on Apple TV - Jul 16, 2011
- Probe into whether BlackBerry misguided shareholders - May 25, 2011
- BlackBerry to sell tablet below $500 to undercut iPad sales - Nov 11, 2010
Tags: annual general meeting, blackberry, chief executive, device feature, echelon, euphoria, iphone, jim balsillie, july 17, momentum, new advertising, research in motion, rim, shareholders, slogan, sums, top echelon, top management, touch screen technology, tuesday night