Bill Gates has roots in Yorkshire soilAugust 6th, 2008 - 11:58 am ICT by IANS
By Venkata Vemuri
London, Aug 6 (IANS) Bill Gates is definitely American, but his roots are in Britain’s Yorkshire, just like US President George Bush and Hollywood star Catherine Hepburn, says a genealogist. David Glover, a surveyor of family records, has written to the world’s third richest man that he has traced Gates’ family 13 generations back to the mill town of Halifax in Yorkshire.
Gates’ great grandfather 11 generations back is believed to have been Jonas Halstead, born in 1611, the son of a yeoman clothier from nearby Northowram.
Glover says the Halsteads were a Puritan family in the area and became increasingly disturbed about the direction the parish church in Halifax was taking.
“The final straw seems to be the appointment of a very high church priest. Jonas joined a number of people from the area who sailed from Bristol in May 1635 for Boston, arriving 12 weeks later,” he was quoted as saying by The Telegraph.
Halstead became a farmer and later a land speculator, eventually moving to Long Island in New York state. Bill Gates himself was born in Seattle, Washington state, in 1955.
Glover used local records and research published in the US before establishing a direct line between Jonas and Bill Gates and believes there can be “no doubt about the lineage”.
The descendants of Jonas include the Maxwell banking family in Seattle. Gates’ grandfather was James Willard Maxwell Junior.
Glover first made the link while studying the many Puritan families from the Halifax area who emigrated to Massachusetts in the 1630s.
Other famous figures, including film star Katharine Hepburn, former British prime minister Winston Churchill and Senator John Kerry - the unsuccessful Democratic presidential candidate in 2004 - originated from the same group.
Some years ago Glover, a member of Halifax Antiquarian Society, also discovered a distant connection between US President George W. Bush and the Calderdale area of Yorkshire.
- Bill Gates Yorkshire roots unearthed - Aug 06, 2008
- Sham marriage groom made list to memorise bride's details - Dec 03, 2011
- Orange County, CA resident sentenced to over 10 years for his part in $61 million Ponzi scheme - May 14, 2010
- Usher's ex-wife cannot afford life support system - Jul 16, 2012
- Gates to meet Krishna - May 30, 2012
- Bill Gates to meet Akhilesh - May 29, 2012
- Indian firm gets Gates Foundation grant for `eToilet' - Aug 16, 2012
- Obama, Palin '10th cousins through a common ancestor' - Oct 14, 2010
- Simpson to marry this year? - May 25, 2012
- Was King Edward III actress Brooke Shield's ancestor? - Jul 01, 2010
- Usher's injured stepson dead - Jul 22, 2012
- Crystal Cathedral's senior pastor Sheila Schuller Coleman is all set to start a new church - Mar 12, 2012
- Autopsy report to reveal how LRG's Jonas Bevacqua died - Jun 01, 2011
- Hepburn's Oscar dress up for auction - Nov 05, 2011
- Cameron's ancestor slew Indian Mutiny rebels with his sabre, participated in mass hanging of civilia - Aug 02, 2010
Tags: antiquarian society, bill gates, british prime minister, catherine hepburn, david glover, democratic presidential candidate, gates family, halifax area, hollywood star, james willard, john kerry, land speculator, local records, president george bush, president george w bush, puritan family, senator john kerry, town of halifax, venkata, winston churchill