Belgian solar tunnel to power high speed rail running from Paris to AmsterdamJune 9th, 2011 - 11:27 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Paris, June 9 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Belgian rail operator Infrabel and Enfinity, a company which specializes in renewable energy sources have collaborated together to make a solar tunnel. This solar tunnel would power high speed rail running from Paris to Amsterdam.
This Belgian solar tunnel is 2 miles long and it has been powered with more than 15,000 solar panels. These solar panels would help to provide energy to the high speed rail, which would run from Paris to the Holland capital. The solar panels have a combined area of more than 50,000 square meters, which averagely is the area of 8 football pitches.
Europe hasn’t seen such use of solar panel for powering trains and this is the first time that such a solar tunnel has been conceptualized and built. The other function of the tunnel is to shelter the trains from the trees.
According to reports, 3.3 MWh of power would be generated from the solar tunnel on an annual basis. The magnitude of 3.3 MWh can be gauged from the fact that this is the amount of energy which can provide power to more than 1000 residential units in a year.
- Canada Aviation Museum to install solar energy system - Apr 27, 2010
- Japan keen on industrial corridor, freight train in south India - Feb 14, 2012
- At least 10 dead, many injured in Belgian train crash - Feb 15, 2010
- US loans for Indian firms making solar facilities in Rajasthan - Jul 19, 2012
- Tamil Nadu's new solar energy policy to add 3,000 MW - Mar 12, 2012
- By 2050, high speed trains will run at 500kmph: Experts - Dec 10, 2010
- At least 18 dead, many injured in Belgian train crash - Feb 16, 2010
- Eurostar services suspended after Belgian train crash - Feb 18, 2010
- Research nano energy packs, urges Abdul Kalam - Jan 09, 2012
- At least 12 dead, many injured in Belgian train crash - Feb 15, 2010
- A new device to tap more solar energy invented - May 17, 2011
- Italians protest high-speed rail link to France - Jul 04, 2011
- Transparent solar cells to tap windows for energy - Mar 21, 2012
- 'Bring Shimla's last heritage train back on track' (Letter from Shimla) (With Image) - Aug 12, 2012
- Agartala to be Northeast India's first solar city - Sep 12, 2012
Tags: amsterdam, belgian rail, europe, football pitches, hasn, high speed rail, holland, infrabel, magnitude, mwh, paris, rail operator, renewable energy sources, residential units, solar panel, solar panels, square meters, trains, trees