Beijing firm to launch CDMA iPhone 4SJanuary 31st, 2012 - 7:04 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Jan 31 (IANS) The Beijing Telecom Co Ltd., a subsidiary of the country’s third-largest mobile phone operator China Telecom, may launch the CDMA version of the Apple Inc’s iPhone 4S as early as February in the country, it said in a statement.
It will ramp up the pressure on the company’s domestic rivals in the fight to win more subscribers to the third-generation (3G) network service, People’s Daily reported Tuesday.
The company said Monday the CDMA-version (code division multiple access) iPhone 4S is likely to hit the domestic market by the end of February or at the beginning of March. The pricing details were not disclosed.
The company has already started preparatory work for the launch, the statement said.
The iPhone 4S, built for the company’s CDMA2000 network, has already obtained all three required operating licences, the firm said. The CDMA2000 wireless standard is the 3G network technology used by China Telecom.
The China United Network Communications Ltd (China Unicom), the nation’s second-largest wireless carrier, is still the sole operator offering the Apple device on contract.
The iPhone craze has helped the carrier achieve the fastest-growing 3G user numbers in China, with over 40 million subscribers at the end of 2011.
China Telecom had 36.3 million 3G users by that date, compared with 51.2 million for China Mobile Ltd.
For Apple, offering an iPhone compatible with China Telecom’s technology could encourage the use of the device by tens of millions of mobile subscribers. Apple is currently the No.4 smartphone vendor in China, behind Nokia Oyj, Samsung Electronics Co and Huawei Technologies Co Ltd., according to the research firm Gartner Inc.
- China Telecom to sell iPhone 4S - Feb 21, 2012
- China has 1.06 bn mobile phone connections - Aug 28, 2012
- Number of Chinese 3G users surpasses 50m - Feb 26, 2011
- Verizon iPhone: How Will It Affect The Users? - Jan 12, 2011
- Apple eyes China expansion - Mar 27, 2012
- China to go into 4G telecom technology by 2015 - Jan 03, 2011
- Verizon Announces iPhone Coming On Its Network, Users Excited - Jan 12, 2011
- iPhone 4s to go on sale in China next week - Jan 06, 2012
- Apple Launches iPhone On Verizon, AT&T Retorts - Jan 12, 2011
- Mobile phones' sale in China grew by 57 percent in 2010 - Jan 23, 2011
- Apple making new iPhone for Verizon - Oct 07, 2010
- Smartphone users hit 20 mn mark in South Korea - Oct 31, 2011
- Bharti adds 2 mn subscribers in May, India total now 929 mn - Jul 05, 2012
- Chinese firm says its 3G subscribers top 36 mn - Dec 20, 2011
- Verizon Wireless to introduce tiered data plan in next four to six months - Sep 24, 2010
Tags: cdma2000, china mobile, china telecom, china unicom, code division multiple access, gartner inc, huawei technologies co ltd, iphone, million subscribers, mobile phone operator, mobile subscribers, network communications, network technology, nokia oyj, preparatory work, samsung electronics, samsung electronics co, sole operator, united network, wireless carrier